Chopper gun question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by flyguy23, Sep 21, 2010.

1. flyguy23

flyguy23 New Member

Hi folks, I am a new member to the forum and have a question regarding chopper guns for spraying up fiberglass. I am looking for a low cost solution for spraying up some molds and have come across the CDA-08 and CGA-08 gear reduced handheld chopper guns and the G200-6 external mix gelcoat and resin sprayer. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these tools and if they'd be worth the investment or even if someone might have some good condition used ones they'd be willing to sell. Maybe somebody would know of some other low budget fiberglass sprayer out there.I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

These items are of very limited use and if you were going build a mold small enough for these to be used it would most likely be easier to hand laminate it.

Don't use a gun of that design that has a separate catalyst injector, there is no way to calibrate it for an accurate %. That type of gun will work for small projects, just not with the catalyst injector.

How big of a project is this?

3. flyguy23

flyguy23 New Member

It is for the tail wing and elevator of a flying boat. Approximately 50 sq. ft in all. I would like to have the tools for any other projects I may do in the future, however. Do you have any recommendations of a low cost system for spraying up? Thanks for the advice.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

That is about as low cost as you can get....but.

If you want cheap, go to Harbor Freight and buy a $39.00 2 quart pressure pot and skip the chopper units.

Actual spray equipment that is used in production starts at just below $10,000 and goes to around $18,000.

5. fg1inc

fg1inc Guest

What ondavar said......... plus, the strength/weight ratio acheived with a chopper gun is not what you're looking for when trying to get airborne. You'll be much happier with hand layup without chop strand.

6. flyguy23

flyguy23 New Member

I guess I was a bit confusing on how I worded that. I am looking at making the molds for the tail and elevator sections by spraying up. The actual pieces themselves will be fiberglass cloth followed by a last-a-foam core and another layer of cloth then vacuum bagged. I was hoping to get ahold of a chopper gun for molds of some projects I have planned in the future. Any idea on what a price for a good used unit would be and where the best place to look would be? Thanks!

7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

About $5,000 and up.

Unless you have a great deal of work to do in the future with a chopper gun, you will be better off hand laying the molds.

It takes time to learn how to use a chopper gun correctly, I wouldn't want my first attempt at it to be making a mold.

8. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I'm with those other guys--forget a chopper gun unless you're gonna crank out loads of crap to sell to tourists. I've used 'em a lot, but I really don't think it's an efficient tool for what you're planning.

9. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Same here.

Besides that, if you want good quality moulds, inspect some rapid tooling systems. These resins can be laminated 4 layers of 1.5 oz chop in one go, without shrinkage. No need for a chopper...