Choosing Correct Outboard - Need Technical Help

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CatBuilder, Apr 30, 2011.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Do the outboard sales folks usually allow you to try props if you buy 3 outboards at a time?

IF the shop is big , they may allow you to use some of their stock of reconditioned props to get the right prop , and then supply it new as part of the engine sale.

Arrange this BEFORE you put a buck down , and it should be really easy.

FF

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Any engine supplier should experiment with the right prop. No customer should ever be allowed to guess a prop then slag the engine off for being underpowered or uneconomical.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

With three engines having the correct prop won't be as important.

-Tom

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

One is for the tender. :D

But that's good to hear. I think when I approach them, I'll be sure to include a provision for selecting the right props for the displacement boat, which may include me trying a demo pair or something like that.

Thanks for the tips. I've only bought one new outboard in my 20+ years on the water. The rest were all used, so I'm not accustomed to how the dealers work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.