Acceptable Axial Runout?

Discussion in 'Props' started by Tedd McHenry, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Tedd McHenry

Tedd McHenry Junior Member

I dinged my propeller a bit and I'm trying to assess the damage. I've measure the axial runout but, unfortunately, I didn't measure the runout on the blades when I got the prop and I haven't been able to find a specification for it. It's a fine pitch, four-bladed prop on a Suzuki DF9.9B.

There's 0.0250" (0.64 mm) variation in the leading edge axial positions and 0.030" (0.76 mm) variation in the trailing edge axial positions. Some are in the same direction (i.e., entire blade tip forward or aft) and some are in the opposite direction (i.e., cord line angle greater or lesser).

This is more than I would have expected on a new prop but I've never measured one. Can anyone provide guidance? I don't notice any particular problem with the prop's performance but the damage happened on my first trip with the boat (d'oh!) so I wouldn't necessarily perceive a small abnormality.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Those are cast props, so those measurements aren't really that bad. I'd just check the pitch at 0.7r and balance and fix it if it needs it.

Tedd McHenry likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.