I need a frigging slick

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by yokebutt, Sep 11, 2005.

1. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Been having a miserable time trying to find a slick. I want something pretty hefty, not one of those little dainty Japanese jobs, but a few pounds of tough steel for hacking away at wood and composites with.

However, outside of the Japanese tool stores I haven't even been able to find a single store clerk who even knows what a slick is! I have to EXPLAIN what this utterly basic boatbuilding tool is! What happened? Did they go obsolete when I wasn't looking?

So, my question is, where does one find a good selection of utility-grade slicks nowadays?

Yoke.

2. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

They do: http://www.gedore.de
    But I don't know if they ship to the states... It's a pretty big company, so you never know. Quality is German sollid, so give it a try.

3. Chris Merriam

Chris Merriam Junior Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The traditional use of a slick doesn't have it getting whacked with a mallet.

I've given up on paying for good steel in a chisel and have resorted to making them, usually from cut up automotive leaf spring stock, which has a high carbon content and holds an edge well. Work slowly when shaping it, so you don't ruin the temper.

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

I do hope nobody took my (as usual) somewhat facetious post too seriously. Of course I know slicks aren't all that common anymore, but I was surprised how rare they are. For now I've pressed a 2" framing chisel with a nice tapered table-leg for a handle into service.

PAR,

I would never use an Instrument of Coercion on a slick, after all, it's got its own slide-hammer built in, right?

For what it's worth, I found Barr Specialty Tools online, (barrtools.com) they seem to have a couple of promising candidates.

Yoke.