Prop selection

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Stumble, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I am about to buy a Beneteau 381 and one of the first things I plan on doing is adding a feathering prop like the Maxi-prop. I know there are some alternatives out there, but since Maci is the only one i have used I am not sure of the reputation of the others. Does anyone have suggestions?

1) I am not so much worried about max efficiency forward since the oat is just being used for day trips, say less than a mile from the slip to the lake.

2) Backing ease and power is much more critical since a number of the users have limited skill operating and docking a boat.

3) max performance under sail is not critical though it would be nice.

4) I don't intend to go to a VPP simply due to cost. This boat will get less than 20 hours a year on the engines, and increased fuel burn isn't really a concern.

Maxi btw suggested one of the following
    70mm 2 blade 16" diameter by 14" of pitch: $1800.00
    70mm 3 blade 16" diameter by 12" of pitch: $3050.00
    70mm 3 blade 16" diameter by 12" of pitch externally adjustable: $3775.00

Also if someone has a used one lying around I have no problem with used working equipment.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Actually I am not worried about feathering vs folding. I would happily install either. The one thing I won't stay with is a fixed prop.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into them.

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

The Kiwi composite feathering gets good reviews. From their web site....US $ 1350 per unit plus US $ 150 freight / unit. Additional blades are priced at US $ 110 each - no additional freight if delivered with the unit. Blades ordered seperately are US $ 110 each PLUS US $ 50 / shipment

http://www.kiwiprop.us

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

There is also Martec folding prop. The nongeared ones are cheapish. I would think 15x13 would be acceptable based on your puny usage. Depends on engine and gearing. I get away with 14x14 on a Catalina 38 @ 17000 pounds, but I rate my diesel at about 18 HP. Reverse suffers as you reduce dia and increase pitch. Moreso with folders than with fixed or feathering. Less dia and more pitch can be an advantage when motorsailing.

We could have some fun with this one. Are you saying you want them to have more thrust, because I would want them to have very little thrust. If they are worried that the engine might quit at any moment, that's even better.:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.