Chinese Boatbuilders??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sandersc, Apr 9, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

No thanks, will have it done in Aussy...

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

It is always better masalai to have it done than it is to be done!

1 person likes this.
  3. masalai

masalai masalai

Well put and punned, Thanks Landlubber... :D

4. SunKing

SunKing New Member

I am a custom boatbuilder in Florida. Never built a big cat but I am getting real familiar with them. Any reason you would not use a US builder? From what I see the African and French cats go for, I could build it for half that price here. After delivery costs we could get one to Europe even cheaper than the Asians, I have found.

What am I missing? I'll price your boat, I speak English and there won't be any wait. Brits are buying everything over here, taking advantage of the miserable dollar. Why not buy cats too?

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you could do well to research Poland
    they were our allies, in WW2, Trustworthy honest and reliable
    Since Eu expansion they have been flocking to GB, and are the most welcome of the immigants But I know many would rather be at home, Do some research, i heard of a KIWI looking seriously at the place Unless I were big, and very powerful, and spoke manderin, I would not consider China Word seems to be something that is not necessary to hold. In other words generally speaking , you can not be sure you can trust the Chinese. Or India, indians, are completely honest, look a t the 1`0000,s tourists who have rugs sent back, they always arrive, their word is good, ask Brett Lee:))

6. Joman

Joman New Member

Hi,

I visited the china boat exhibition in shanghai. What I have seen of chinese manufacturers didn't really attract me.

Boats have not many details and look boring. The cheap price has also its reason. I guess its fibreglass with a core. Bigger core then fibreglass of course. So if the boat gets a deep scratch and water gets into the core the boat will start to fall apart. And cats usually don't get out of water very often.

So better higher price and quality.

7. jusembo

jusembo Junior Member

To get price and quality in China the solution is WOFE

I'm Belgian cabinet maker running here for 8 years now we're developing a small boat yard
    Our preference is wooden molding but I may consider any serious partnership in GRP manufacturing

8. david@boatsmith

david@boatsmith Senior Member

Building boats for european market

We are in Florida. We are competetive on the world market. Connect with me and let's discuss your needs David boatsmithfl.com cheers

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

the freakin first page,,,is the ONLY page,,,and all it is , is a picture of a boat,,then they animated little lines going across to make it look like it was a video of the boat.,,,,and you guys build quality boats??
    ive stayed away from this thread cause of my "crulity to dough-heads" chages,,,,but geesh,,,,,,he's only looking at china cause he THINKS it'll be cheap,,,,well it will be built cheap,,,thats as far as "cheap" will go.
    ,,,,,,,,,,o.k. ,,,,holdin my tongue hehe :D;)

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

11. jusembo

jusembo Junior Member

Manufacturing in China

Sir, i'm very sorry but my english is too poor to catch the (under)sens of you message... If you have any clear critics to formulate about me, my business or my boats :confused: please do it!

Weanwhile, "instant ... expert" remind me a little story happend 8 years ago, in 2001 during the fair "Masion & Objets" the world leading exhibition for furniture and decorative items.
    It was our (me and my wife) first participation with a micro-stand of 9M2.
    One day, a visitor, a French traditionnal upholsterer, very proud of him self (probably well known in his village ;) ) used an esoteric term during our (short) conversation ... something like "Bergere en cabriolet" or any floweries like this and as i'm usually very honest i told him : " What Bergere?" on it he answered me "I see you're a opportunist of the moment" and free himself immediately after theses words.
    Today i am, in term of scale and especially in term of quality , in the topest few "French style traditionnal furniture manufacturers" and the only one established out of Europe.

History is going and often repeating...you will not stop the stream.

It doesn't mean Chinese manufacters are not making ****, mainly they do, it's the local speciallity ... but things are changing fast ...very fast if comparing to "old world" and if we may say 10 years ago: 1% were doing top stuff, they are 10% now and 20 very soon.

Last but not least, basing on my experience, i may say that today China is an exceptionnal potting compost for thoses who desire to concrete their dreams and readdy to challenge.

Attached Files:

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

David,

Mate, I am sure that you personal work as a craftsman is beyond repute.

It is the fact that you put yourself up as a boatbuilder, and when we see the time that you have been building boats (less than 6 months ), it is a real concern.......sure make your boats, and hopefully one day you will be able to produce a decent cold moulded or strip plank boat, but to start trying to suck in customers after asking how to build one 6 months ago is a bit rich in my books.

We have to do a 4 year apprenticeship before we would even think of calling ourselves a boatbuilder.

Yes things are changing fast in China, and they will continue to do so, but everything they build at present is a cardboard cut out replica of the real thing!

The unfortunate thing about building boats in China, is that the Chinese really are not boat people....sure they have their fishing boats, but only for business, not because they love boating, and the poor buggers have NO vocational training at school to even introduce them to the real world of manufacture and construction. It is monkey see, monkey do, and unfortunately they were and still are in places, being trained by Taiwanese boatbuilders of the late 70's and 80's, who made the worst piles of cheap crap the world ever saw in boats.

David, all the best in your venture, quality is what makes your name stand out, quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

its hard standing up for your country,,,when your country only allows you to see what they want you to see,,,,and since the government owns everybody and all their things,,,,,what will happen once you become the best boat builder there?,,,,your made to work making the governments boats for a bucket of rice and water.
    i REALLY shouldnt comment on anything bout china,,,im kinda really against helping a society that doesnt allow their people to be real people,,,,,,and a government that takes accident victims as hostages,,< no i dont want to start THAT subject.,,,,,,,,,but i do commend you on doing your thing in a place that makes it soooo HARD for you to be successful.
    and thinking your the best is good for ya,,,,ACT like your the best,,,,,,,but dont ever KNOW your the best,,,,cause your not,,probably never will be,,,,,the "best" builders is ALWAYS learning, always asking,,,and always telling himself he ISNT the best,,and strives to get better.
    keep up the work your doing now,,,,,MAYBE 1 day you'll be close to the best,,hehe :D

14. jusembo

jusembo Junior Member

Boat peoples

1-To correct a small misunderstanding, i started to build the first 6,5m boat in 2003 and it took us 4 years / 3000 hours.
    As reminder it is a fully monohull construction with continue planking from the bottom to the coaming ("hiloire" in French)
    Because of this huge amount of H-W, i hardly believe it should has to be possible to envisage such project, today, in a high cost labor country.
    The 6 month you mentioned was for the second one. (attached picture)
    The second misunderstanding is that if you read my post I'm not "sucking" customers but just looking for partnership what is quite different.

2-Do you need to be boat people to build boat?
    And do you need to be French to manufacture French style furniture?
    Definitely not! Theses are outdated concepts that can reassure only those who are concerned. Those who are in the "right side"
    As you say you need 4 years of apprenticeship to change an in experimented young man into a boat builder; what is 4 years? and what about making a boat builder from a high skilled cabinetmaker? 2 years? 12 month? ... peanuts.

My personal opinion is that you're building realities just to reassure yourself

And about socials concerns, sure this country (which is not and will never be mine) is probably not a reference but do you really believe that being in relation with a crook will make it worst? I think if you're a "good one" it can only make him better :)

China is an heterogeneous system subjected to many critics some are probably right but some are just created by fear reaction. This system has a lot to learn from us but it has also tremendous amount to teach. Why not to observe this accelerated motion and learn from it as much as it learn from us.

Being holed like scared dogs can only bring tragic consequences

Attached Files:

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I disagree with Landlubber that all boats that came out of Taiwan were crap. Some were. But some were very good. There are still some yards there buidling quality yachts. Most of those are owned by non-Taiwanese companies but the people who do the craftsmanship are chinese.

China has been building boats for thousands of years, but not in modern factories using high tech materials and processes. Like all things, it takes time, and in articles I have read about the new boat factories in China they readily admit that their products are not yet up to western standards. But mostly those products are aimed at the nouveau riche in China, not at western markets.

A couple of years ago, a delegation of people from the US boating Industry, including NMMA, ABYC and others, went to China to present to the boat manufacturers there western standards for recreatonal boats. They were well recieved and the Chinese were eager to learn and develop an ongoing relationship with standards organizations such as ABYC and ISO. So eventually we may see some very good recreatioanl boats coming out of mainland China. But not right now. However, this doesn't mean they can't be proud of what they have done in a few short years and doesn't mean there aren't good boatbuilders there.

As for the political issues, I spent 20 years of my life working for the US government in Washington DC and there is a lot to be desired. I hate getting involved in political discussions. Let's keep it to boat designing and building.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.