polyol anyone?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gastonanthony, Oct 7, 2008.

1. gastonanthony

gastonanthony New Member

has anyone here tried using polyol? it's a glue like substance...it looks like dried glue when you peel it off after it dries, it is water based, i'm thinking of adding water to it so that i could spray it on the mold because it is slimy and has the consistency of ordinary glue...is it the same as PVA? I'm having a hard time looking for a supplier of PVA here in my city...
    BTW, how do you guys apply resin on the surface that has wax on it, i'm having a hard time applying it because it looks like oil floating on water, it clumps together and floats on the waxed surface after applying it on the mold...

2. gastonanthony

gastonanthony New Member

oh, i actually found out that the substance i'm using right now is already PVA, it's just named polyol where i bought it:eek: but i've got a new problem, how do i spray pva without so much bubble forming?
    and how do i make it dry faster? so much time is wasted in the process of applying it....any suggestions guys? please help me:D thanks in advance:D

3. Design_1

Design_1 Water Logged Hack

Gas-
    Some things are not meant to be sped up. But you can try rubing the mold with a light layer of PVA using a soft cotten towel first. The bubble problem will reduce a little. If it is bubbling, you are trying to apply to thick of a layer at one time. To speed up the drying process, apply a fan for stronger air movement after spraying. Good luck.

Regards,
    Chris

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Professional Boatbuilder had a nice article about spraying PVA. I believe their back issues are available online. It is an old article, probably in the 60th or so issue, and it is called "spraying PVA" (how descriptive...)

5. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Some don't like PVA and don't use it a all. Just paste wax, then spray on the gelcoat with a dump gun.

-jim lee

6. Design_1

Design_1 Water Logged Hack

Jim-
    Some don't like PVA, truely. But it does have some good uses in the right places. It is great for building mold off of rough plugs, ie. stringer plugs, foam boxes, etc. I have used it a lot over the years on projects that needed more than just paste wax. I would never use it in a clean mold. You just have to develop the proper technic.

Herman-
    Thanks for the info. I will have to look back for that. I am interested in there best practice.

Regards,
    Chris

7. Herman

Herman Senior Member

If you cannot find it, contact me. I have a scan available at work.

8. gastonanthony

gastonanthony New Member

thanks a lot people:D thanks for sending me that article herman:D