Chine runners???

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by clodgo, Feb 19, 2008.

1. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any thoughts about chine runners? can they be a replacement for a centerboard on a sailboat, or is that a myth?

Chris

2. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

google Paradox sail boat.

3. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

Thanks Alaska.
    There's allot of stuff out there about the paradox, it's a pretty cool boat. I hadn't run across it before...

4. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Same Vein...

Hello...

Clod - I am going to call you that because it is funny to me - you seem to be going down a path that I have just walked...

You may want to look at my Defiant - which really is my interpretation of Laydens Paradox - but with a few more curves...

See http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7198/size/big/cat//ppuser/3673 ...

Matt Layden is a brilliant man - simplicity does have its place in this mad world still...

See http://home.triad.rr.com/lcruise/pictures.htm ...

If you go D/L the trial of Rhino 3D - I can post up my files for Defiant - or Email them to you...

See http://download.mcneel.com/eval/?p=25 ...

Also see http://peephens.org/gallery2/main.php ...

As for chine runners - I just cannot see it - as you heel and the runner digs in - it is a curve - like a snowboard I can only see it wanting to carve a curve - and throw the boat same - but some strange people swear by it - me I want to play with asymmetrical dual daggers or centreboards much like this boat I sailed on in Denmark - it would actually point upwind - I mean it would literally drag its *** upwind - rather than fall off - to any mark you put between yourself and a point on the boat - just fantastic...

I will post links and pics if I can dig it out of my heap…

Well - my ADS is kicking in...

I looked at your FlickR site - my wife loves your pencil work - sometimes I miss a dull pencil and some paper - good luck - if you need any help - just Email me...

SH.

Attached Files:

5. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

Thanks Sean,

The Defiant looks good, the link to the "Peep Hen" is allot like what I'm coming up with, I may have seen that one before.

I've almost got the model finished, I'll post some photos soon.

I was looking at your designs, the 5'x5' sailboat cracks me up. Here is a link to a funny youtube video, no it has nothing to do with boats...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWLG9feziRU

BTW, If you have any ideas about wind testing a model sailboat I'd love to hear them, maybe I'll start a thread. Thanks again,

Chris

6. Sean Herron

Wind Tunnels...

Hello...

I know the Farr guys do model testing at some place in Maryland - I think - cannot remember...

We have a flume tank somewhere here in Canada - probably East coast...

Not sure - more importantly - WHY - just build a good sized R/C model and go outside and have some intuitive fun...

I can just imagine getting into a wind tunnel with a bunch of engineers - that would be about as much fun as running a marathon with poo in my pants...:)

A tow tank would be cool though...

Have you ever watched Francis Ford Coppolas movie - WIND - if not - you should....

SH.

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Resisting sideways force is a lot of what a sailboat is all about. I believe the argument for chine runners goes, if water has more trouble escaping under the hull it will offer more resistance. Sounds reasonable. Some designs have battens along the bottom of the rudder and/or keel for presumably the same reason.

Sideways force at the chine would have less overturning moment than force way down at the keel. However, there could be more drag.

8. Sean Herron

Blunt

Hello...

I know this is going to get me into trouble with the usual fanatics and religious types - but that has never stopped me before...:)

Chine runners a just stupid...

There - I said it - sorry to be so 'chine runner politically incorrect'...

If I saw a chine runner coming at me - I would be inclined to stick my leg out and trip him up...:)

I hope that I have clearly expressed my opinions regarding chine runners - would you now like to know how I feel about ferro cement and Cross trimaran abortions built by LSD sucking teenage hippies...

Chichester was once being interrogated by some self righteous magazine writer who caught him out loading crates of gin into one of his boats (the boat also had a hand pump beer kegger) - he calmly passed this loser off with these words...

With a reverent pose - hand to heart - bless old man Chichester and his rotting hulk at the British Maritime Museum...

'Please do not take offence, but who the F'CK are you, why the hell are you even here, any fool can navigate the world sober, it takes a great sailor to do so while drunk, now F'CK OFF' and leave me alone, I have real work to do'...

Imagine that moment - I would have loved to be there helping the old man huck his gin onto the boat - but I probably would have died of heart attack from not being able to stop laughing...

NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT MOMENTS IN HISTORY PRESENTS...

Oh wait - I digressed again...:)

Clod - send me some drawings - when I sober up - I might do you up a Rhino preliminary - then we could interrogate the surface in Rhino Marine and get some numbers...

Numbers are good - numbers save lives - sometimes...:)

An engineering student can get his piece of paper on a GPA of poo...

An architect can get thru 4 to 5 years on a base of 65% - what could possibly go wrong when these people lie and jibber jabber their piss poor asses into the mainstream of the real world...

That is actually a compliment - your artwork makes me feel just sick - I know that any talent can be learned or faked with determination and practise - but you seem to have that non human – I hate to say - even (GOD) given gift...

Good stuff...

**** my glass is empty - got to go...:)

SH.

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

On form Sean! keep up the good work!!

the Walrus

10. Sean Herron

Burp

Hello...

AHAH - hello Walrus - nice weather - yup yup - busy trying to keep out of trouble although I know I will step in it soon...

I really hate putting my tail between my legs and doing those public apology things - PHHT...

Clod - I found this - my mind wonders and wanders - deal with it Princess...:)

I have to juggle so many F'in balls including my own sometimes - can you say VERONICA ZEMANOVA - I know you can...

So - AHHHHHH - where was I - oh yes - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8Ul8Lvx1M...

Trust me man - the average Engineer (note the Caps where I feel they are required) - (I Cap Anyone Who Has a Real Passion For What they do - rather than the slobs who cried their way through College or University levels on daddies money) - I digress again...:)

Hell - what a great name for a boat - I DIGRESS...:)

I am about to digress again...:)

(GOD) - I am so pathetic...

I have to go do some paying work - (but I don't want to) ...

Just bought DOOM 3 - got itchy fingers...

SH.

11. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

I DIGRESS!!! Can I use that?

I am watching "20,000 leagues under the sea" and having a fancy American Budweiser.

Chine Runners frighten me...

Luckily I'm slightly unemployed and part Native American, French Canadian, and Italian. Maybe just the tiniest bit British from my Mums side of the family. Therefore I shall continue to do whatever the heck I want to and I appreciate everyones honest criticism.;]

Chris

12. safewalrus

go for it Clod! the only way to be!

13. ancient kayaker

Wow! Sean, only 19 minutes! Wish I could sober up that fast.

14. safewalrus

Doubt if he's really sober, second wind more like; mind you I could with some of that!!

15. ancient kayaker

The more I think about it the more I like "I Digress" as a boat name. If only I had some paying work to digress from ...

There should be a thread for great boat names. I think I just digressed from Chine Runners but doesn't everyone?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.