Match surfaces in Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by toda, May 10, 2007.

1. toda

toda Junior Member

Hi
    I did my project (the bulb of the ship) by Rhino which I attached here (I had them from Autocad see please http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16957)
    but I don't know how I can match them together? Because of seem to me between them are spaces. Could you help me some one. Thank you

Attached Files:

• Fore.3dm
      Fore.3dm
      File size:
      682.4 KB
      Views:
  2. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

You could use the Join Naked Edge command.

3. toda

toda Junior Member

Thank you very much for your reply
    but when I use that commant. The hull is also not good (see attached please)

Attached Files:

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Toda Its very hard to match surfaces that have a different number of control points. It’s better to keep it simple and try to do what you want with one surface, if that’s not possible then start the new surface from an edge of the old.

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Try to draw the curves with as few points as possible, then loft.

6. toda

toda Junior Member

Thank you for all advices
    We have initial 2D drawing design and we have to do accurate with that. I affraid of when I redraw the new curves with fewer points, then they will different from these old and the building ship will have less diplacement than the design ship?

7. Raggi_Thor

You can try to make the same volume or the same area for each section by nudging the control points.
    I am not sure you need to have just one surface, but you can have fewer than now.
    If you draw a section with 5 points, 2 in the bottom, 2 in the side and 1 in the corner, you have a rounded rectangular midship. This can be extruded to make that part of the hull exact. Then in side and top view, the control points can be dragged or nudged longitudinally, you will probably have a longer parallel or straight area in the top and at the keel than in the bilge. If you then draw the bow profile and rotate it a few (20?) degrees you can make a blend or a match and then again adjust the volume by nudging. Another method is to make half the hull with a rather sharp bow, then mirror and merge. This will make a rounded bow.

1 person likes this.
  8. toda

toda Junior Member

Thank you for all
    Raggi_Thor sorry, I could'nt understand how can you draw a section only 5 points? May be you are right in the case we draw paralell part of the ship but for aft and fore ship I don't belive with only 5 point we can draw a section nearly same than initial section. I send attached to show you when I rebuild the initial section with less point control

Attached Files:

9. Raggi_Thor

Sorry, You may have to use 7 points to get straight sides and bottom with a radius between, see attached example,
    AND, I meant for one half of the hull.

You can not use the rebuild command, then you have to straighten up all the points again afterwords, project to cplane, to make the bottom horizontal en the side vertical.

Attached Files:

10. Raggi_Thor

Instead of the rebuild command, you can delete the control points not needed.

11. toda

toda Junior Member

Raggi_Thor
    Thanks for your advices. But I still understand how you can draw a section (see attached please) with 5 point like that

Attached Files:

12. S17665

S17665 Designer

You've to rebuilt the curves and connect the segment. After use surface from network curves to create the surface.
    In fore2 file the curves are in red

Attached Files:

13. Raggi_Thor

You are right I guess, you cant draw every section with just 5 points, see my attempt, it's close but not
    exact, but it's better to use 7 or 9 than 110, for example :)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.