China's Secret Nuclear Submarine Project

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by KnottyBuoyz, Oct 5, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Come on the Yellows, we're all rooting for you!!! (no Bergalia not that kind of 'rooting' but there again..........

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Concerned about the burgeoning crisis in the China Sea, and looking to bolster Taiwan's security without appearing to take an overly aggressive position regarding China, Vice President Cheney announced that the US would be sending a prototype of its newest Shallow Draft High Maneuverability Port Security Patrol Vessel.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

If it was a real gun and he fired it. The boat could probably go astern faster then ahead under motor.

Mychael

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cool thread guys.

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

6. safewalrus

Nice bit of kit - everybody should have one! would take the traffic of the roads and into the rivers! Then we'ed really see some fun! Chaos yes but fun!!

7. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Yeah! How would they paint those lines for the speed cameras. Imagine the taxes they could impose. And we could introduce congestion charging in busy areas... The possibilities are endless! :p

8. safewalrus

Yes Trev that does have promise doesn't it?!?:D :D :D :cool: :D :D :D

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

And here is Catalonia's answer, maybe Guilermo can tell us more:

(submarine built in 1862 by Narcus Monturiol i Estarriol)

Attached Files:

• 652.jpg
      652.jpg
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
  10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

While Guillermo is preening himself (following all the sickening sucking-up offered by members elsewhere) I'll step in with a brief resume...

The Ictineo II was probably the world's first real submarine and a reconstruction is mounted in the harbour at Barcelona.

The original submarine was built in timber in 1862 from the plans of Narcis Monturiol I Estarriol and was the first true submarine to submerge, and using 'man-power' navigated below the waters of the port of Barcelona.

An earlier version, the Ictineo was successfully launched in 1859 but was damaged by a freighter as it was moored at the dock.

Monturiol then built the second, larger Ictineo II, a twin skinned vessel, steam-driven and able to operate under water. In test runs it was able to dive to 90 feet below sea level and stay submerged for up to seven hours.

11. charmc

charmc Senior Member

The 231st anniversary of the world's first combat submarine mission passed recently. While primitive compared to Hunley or Ictineo II, American Turtle was built in 1776 and carried out a combat mission.

The mission's goal was to force the British squadron blocking the entrance to NY harbor to withdraw, by attacking one of the ships with an explosive mine. One day before the mission, Ezra Bushnell, brother of designer David Bushnell, who had trained extensively on American Turtle, was reported too ill to report for duty. Ezra Lee, who was part of the support crew, was recruited to pilot the mission, with only one day's practice.

Lee submerged and successfully navigated to a point beneath the keel of HMS Eagle. Lacking Bushnell's experience, he was unable to drill through the copper sheathed bottom, and withdrew. On the return voyage, he believed he had been spotted and that a nearby moving vessel was attacking him. He released the mine, which drifted near the anchored squadron and later exploded. While the explosion caused no damage, the British squadron commander recognized the threat and withdrew further offshore, which increased the success rate of the small and fast blockade runners.

Each of these subs marked a different first in submarine history. I have nothing but admiration for the crews of each of them. Trusting technology to enable submerging and surfacing at a time when steam boilers were exploding with dismaying frequency took a lot of courage. Their feats were, in my mind, like the first astronauts, going into unknown frontiers.

Attached Files:

12. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

????? :p :p :p

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Among several technological advances in Ictineo II was the exothermic chemical reaction system, generating steam without combustion and its pesky consumption of air.

14. safewalrus

Waterproof paint of course!:cool:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.