Chesapeake bay work boat?????

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by localwaterboy, Jul 8, 2004.

1. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

I was working for Ralph Stanley at the time and the name of the boat was "Old Squaw". It is no longer a working boat eventhough at the time it was used to run food to the fish farm in Eastport Me. The deck was cut to accept a cabin with full accomidations.

2. stand watie

stand watie New Member

to: wdnboatbuilder,

i KNOW that boat & in fact have been aboard her when she was at the Wood Boat Festival in MD.

NICE boat! wish i had found her FIRST. had i done so, i would be living ABOARD!

free dixie,sw
    www.freerepublic.com

3. wdnboatbuilder

Thats good to hear have not heard from OL' witney for awhile now. When I was in the process we had her in the wdn boat show in SW harbor Me. I believe that was in 94. Last I had heard it was for sale. Found one hell of a crab claw under her tanks. I could not wrap my first finger and my thumb around it.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

For what it's worth, I've just completed a 2 year restoration of a 25' hardtop (41 years old) and also built a 28' raised deck, hardtop. Both GM V8 powered (one inboard the other I/O) the new construction was my design and had A/C, enclosed pilothouse and much better equipped then the 41 year old 25'er. The new boat took a year to build and came in at 2/3's the cost of the restoration for the 25'er.

If the original poster would like to email me, I have several classic and new designs that are low cost (some free) that will fit his need.

5. Sams Crab Pots

Sams Crab Pots New Member

Deadrises

I make Model Work boats for my business, But I would love to find an old one to fix up. I guess you can say that I am Hungry for Chesapeake bay Work boat. See my models at WWW.SAMSPOTS.COM, If anyone knows of a beat up boat for sale please let me know.

Mike

6. HAMBONE

HAMBONE New Member

Beat Up Deadrise

Just curious as to why you would want a "beat up workboat". I've found several that need various amounts of repair and I guess the question is how much work/ money do you want to put into one. One thing you might want to consider when you're talking to a waterman about his boat, leave that "beatup" language at home. It's more insulting than talking bad about his wife.

All the boats I know of are for sale in Va. around Norfolk, Suffolk, Chuckituck, Hampton, etc.

My email address is jabonbone@yahoo.com

Good Luck!

Hambone

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      523.4 KB
      Views:
  7. wdnboatbuilder

Hambone Iwill have to say that is very true what you say, When I was in school in Maine I had made a comment that was a bit derogatory toward his boat and ...... lets just say I got an ear full. I look at a mans boat with a whole new perspective

8. pungo hayden

pungo hayden Junior Member

pungolee, are you in pungo virginia. VA. BEACH?
    i have a 20ft. sharpy to restore and need just some advise.
    it's not in too bad of condition but i want to use the right materials.
    let me know.
    p.s. i'm a granny (not too old thou).

9. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Restoring an old work boat to use, or even working on one for the inexperienced as a helper in some yard for the summer, is still the cheapest and the best college education for anyone thinking about building a new one. You may find out that you don't want one, too, or may want something smaller. Striking out on a new one, without prior experience, even in the glass-snot ones, normally begins by building a canoe of plywood kayak. Its nice for hinesight for many that preach after hundreds of sermons, or teachers have taught for years. But right out of the box, as a green horn, reading internet group think tanks for hands on learning, is nothing more that reading texts in a textbook in school.

10. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Part of redoing an older one is the mental thing for a lot of folks. The mental and personal rewards cannot be measured by another individual sitting on the sidelines placing any time or dollar figures on a project. What maybe expensive for some may not be for another person. . It also can be said and backed up by case history, that after many successfull new and used projects, the same individual will seek out a new one for the challenge of it. Its almost like going hunting over and over again, after you kill that big ten point buck, of even catching a cooler of Speckled Trout.

11. Porkchunker

Porkchunker Porkchunker

I realize that this is my first post, but if you go back to the original post, he indicated he wanted "plans." To me that means he wants to build new, not restore.

Most of the Ches. Bay deadrises are now built out of glass--and probably have been built that way for the last 20 years or so. I'm sure you can still find new wood constructed deadrises, but living in Annapolis, and spending a lot of time on the Bay, most everything I see these days is a glass hull with wood stringers and decking.

Porkchunker http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats/skopje179.html

12. pungo hayden

i have a 20 ft. wooden sharpie, in not too bad condition. 2 sons in another state that are boat builders/workers. i want to do this project and i want to do it myself to show them boys what thier moms made of.
    hell or high water. the boat is a classic.
    now, what do i fill the cracks with????
    xxo, hayden:D

13. chandler

chandler Senior Member

What kind of cracks are you talking about? Seams in the planking? I hope. Traditional build?

14. pungo hayden

yes seams in the planking. thank yu for answering. hayden
    there aren't too many and they aren't very wide. i can barely see day light threw them.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pungo Hayden, you may not need anything other then water to fix your seams. If the boat has been out of the water for some time, the wood will shrink some and the seams will get bigger. Do your self a favor and put the boat in the water. It may leak for a day or two, but then the wood will swell back up, closing the seams and the leaking will stop. This assumes quite a few things, such as the boat is traditionally planked of solid lumber (not plywood), the seams are sound but dry, there are no structural issues causing the planking to move around, etc. You can wet down the boat prior to launching with a garden sprinkler. The trick here is to soak the below water areas of the boat, swelling the wood. In the old days, it was reported that small craft were sunk near shore, to expedite the swelling process. I don't recommend this, as you don't know how sound the rest of the structure is and can stress it badly by doing this (boats are designed to keep water out, not as bath tubs) If you can hardly see light through the seams, she'll swell up fine, once in the wet stuff for a day. After you show off to your boys, have them come over and pound some new caulking into her, when they get a chance, they'll likely work for your cooking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.