Yacht A

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AdrianRO, Jan 22, 2013.

1. AdrianRO

AdrianRO Junior Member

Hi there,

I am in the final year of Advanced Master in Naval Architecture and I have to make a comparative study on seakeeping of different megayachts. I got a few classic designs, and I was interested to include the Yacht A of Phillipe Starck in this study. Before engaging in recreating the linesplan from the pictures and the dimensions, I thought I might ask if someone tried to replicate the shape in any digital format, not exactly, but for a "student project"-like.

This is the incriminated body we are talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_(yacht)

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

1 person likes this.
  3. AdrianRO

AdrianRO Junior Member

Hi Tad,

Thanks for the update, I will try to make it in Multisurf and will upload the result here, if it won't be illegal somehow...

Until I got your files I didn't realised it had two semitunnels in the aft bottom. Not really important for the seakeeping simulation I will do, but I will try to make it as accurate as possible from the beginning.

By the end of the week I should have it ready, will let you know !

4. AdrianRO

AdrianRO Junior Member

Hi,

Just got a preliminary version of the hull that will be subjected to some fine tunning and trimming tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. AdrianRO

AdrianRO Junior Member

Sorry for the late update, had to finish another project. It is some sort of final, without the semitunels and aft skeg but might be useful to someone, sometime :)

Attached Files:

6. Olav

Olav naval architect

Adrian,

no pun intended, but your hull has actually only very little to do with A's lines.

A has a straight keel (just some rise in the aft body for the propellers and rudder blades), a quite pronounced bulbous bow (almost a long cylinder with a spherical "cap" blended into the hull shape), much more flare in the forebody sections (the hull is quite wide at the forward chines) and a wider transom (the aft body lines are almost parallel).

Perhaps the attached side view can help you out to improve your model a bit to get closer to the original lines.

Attached Files:

7. AdrianRO

AdrianRO Junior Member

Could be, I made the drawing using this sketch

Attached Files:

8. AdrianRO

AdrianRO Junior Member

Olav, it looks like the drawing you have post is from the designer. Do you have more ? It is really interesting, lots of detail and the stations scale helps alot.

I will try to redo it soon to match the sketch you presented.

9. AdrianRO

AdrianRO Junior Member

this is a revised version according to the latest information

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.