Looking for Book's

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Cliff Ruckstuhl, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Cliff Ruckstuhl Junior Member

What books can I buy that will help me with Yacht Design? I am very interested in it as a hobby. I have Steve Killings Book and love it and I am after more on how Yachts are designed and how it is done. So what books could I buy that would help me with the actual designing?

Cliff

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

books

Killing is great; here are some others:
    "Princibles of Yacht Design" by Larsson and Eliasson ; "Design of Sailing Yachts" by Pierre Gutelle; "Elements of Boat Strength" and others by Dave Gerr; Every book by Marchaj including "The Aerohydrodynamics of Sailing"; "Seaworthiness:the Forgotten Factor","Sail Performance" ; "Skenes Elements of Yacht Design",revised edition by Francis S. Kinney; "Saiing Yacht Design by Douglas Phillips Birt; The Art and Science of Sails by Tom Whidden ; "Sail Power" by Wallace Ross ;"Maximum Sail Power" by Brian Hancock and "Marine Composites" by Eric Greene Associates.
    =====================
    How could I have forgotten,one of my favourites: "High Performance Sailing" by Frank Bethwaite and a new book by Bethwaite-maybe this year...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  3. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Thanks Doug that is what I was looking for.

Cliff

4. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Try McNaughton school of yacht designs website and check out their required reading.

5. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

For the more prosaic aspects of yacht design, I'd add:

Nicholson, Ian, "Boat Data Book," Sheriden House, NY, 1995.

Miller, Conrad, "Engines for Sailboats," Ziff-Davis, USA, 1978.

Calder, Nigel, "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual," International Marine, Camden, ME, 1996.

"The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction," Gougeon Bros. Inc., Bay City, MI, 1985.

Greene, Eric, "Marine Composites," http://www.marinecomposites.com/

Coles, Adlard & Bruce, Peter, "Heavy Weather Sailing," International Marine, 1996.

Shane, Victor, "Drag Device Data Base," Para-Anchors International, Summerland, CA, 1998. (There may be a more recent edition - it's continually updated.)

Dias, Antonio, "Designer and Client," Wooden Boat Publications, Brooklin, ME, 1998.

Rogers, Larry V., "Boat Owner's Legal & Financial Advisor," International Marine, Camden, ME, 1994.

Kanter, Charles, "Cruising On More Than One Hull!" Sailco Press, Key Largo, FL, 1992.

White, Chris, "The Cruising Multihull," International Marine, Camden, ME, 1997.

Brown, Jim, "The Case For The Cruising Trimaran," International Marine, Camden, ME, 1979.

Hughes, Kurt, "Sailng Designs," Kurt Hughes Sailing Designs, Seattle, WA, 2004.

Shuttleworth, John, "Multihull Designs," John Shuttleworth Yacht Designs, LTD, London, UK, 1998.

6. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Thanks Tom,Doug & Chandler

I have odered 3 of the books suggested from Amazon.

Thanks again

Cliff

7. JimCooper

JimCooper Junior Member

If you get any then make sure you read "Seaworthiness:the Forgotten Factor" a wake up call to some designers.

Jim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.