Ethanol in petrol

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by philzero44, Apr 24, 2008.

1. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

I've been going to my garage 2 years and about a month ago i saw a little sticker on the bowser saing 10% ethanol which i've never seen before,And 2 weeks ago my van blew a head gasket but i think its just old age.But it had me thinking what about my outboard motor fuel if it has 10% ethanol in the petrol what would long time use bring to the wear and tear on the outboard motor. Phil

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Probably very litte affect. However, pull the hood and check the hoses. Alcohol does have an affect on hoses. Any other plastic parts might be affected. If it affects a gasket you won't know it until the gasket fails. Actually the distributors have been putting ethanol in gasoline for over 30 years, so if there were a problem you probably would have noticed it by now.

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

There is ample anecdotal evidence of problems related to ethanol blended gasoline/petrol. Most seem to be related to 3 areas: 1. Dissolving accumulated varnish deposits, causing an increase of particulates which can overload fuel filters or redeposit contaminents inside the engine. 2. Dissolving resin used in some fiberglass fuel tanks, with results similar to #1, plus the potential for fuel leaks. 3. Absorbing water vapor from the air, increasing water contamination of fuel. There have been a few reports of what Ike described, as some rubber compounds used in hoses may be softened by ethanol. There have been a number of articles describing problems and remedies. Unless you have fiberglass fuel tanks, the problems seem controlable with the listed percautions.

http://powerboat.about.com/od/maintenance/a/Engines_ethanol.htm
    http://www.theoutboardwizard.com/boat_ethanol_danger_precaution.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.