Cheapest DIY Bugout Sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lvabd, Dec 11, 2022.

1. skaraborgcraft

skaraborgcraft Senior Member

Agreed. Its always the minority you are at risk from. However, flaunting "wealth" , especially in poor ex-colonial countries where to this day "we" are blamed for their problems, you are at more risk just because of skin tone.

There are weekly grenade attacks on police stations here in Sweden, it does not get much publicity, unheard of before the Balkens war.

Pitcairn anyone?

2. seasquirt

seasquirt Senior Member

Sorry, but I had to laugh at this from page 1:
    "At sea, I want to stay dry and not fall overboard, when I nod-off to sleep. I'm hoping to just bungee the tiller and correct once an hour or so. GPS on phone, no charts, obviously. If all goes well, it'll be YT videos and Fosters, until I make land."
    Some people really would do that.

So war breaks out, and to misdirect enemy missiles, the GPS system is wildly manipulated to land any missiles in harmless areas away from damage, so GPS becomes unreliable. The fridge full of Fosters and the video player have flattened your batteries, so no GPS, or ability to recharge batteries. No map ? Which way is up ? While sleeping and with the bungee on watch for an hour, (Gilligan's Island stuff), the wind shifted and now you're dreaming of Ginger, and crossing a shipping lane, with a Panamax container ship bearing down on a bit of flotsam, with no radar blip; the watch crew are drinking Fosters and watching YT videos.

You can't outrun weather without horsepower, and try sailing anything in 30 Knots plus wind, even on small seas, you will be stressing, but much stronger squalls and storms can descend, and stick around for days, ruining your leisure. The smaller the boat, the more violent it feels. Do searches for micro cruisers, and the 'Around in Ten' race for 10 foot yachts - race around the world. The compromises are many, like increased weight for staying upright, sturdy cabin for rain storms and knockdowns, increased draught because of the extra weight. Risk it in a small open boat, or feel safe in a heavy dreadnaught.
    I have thought about the same idea of a getaway boat, and gone in circles with needs, wants, affordability, physical ability, heavy or light centreboard, need a bigger boat - but now it's too big sort of stuff. I ended up modifying (unnecessarily) a small sailing dinghy to take a beating, but 30 Knots wind is my and its limit before the hull is just blown sideways instead of making any headway to windward. See my threads on Boat Design: Jack Holt Heron re-imagined. Anything with a cabin will get blown about more than an open boat. It's a noble pursuit going anywhere in a small sailboat I think, pitting your judgement and skill against the elements, and getting somewhere with no motor backup. I did call for a rescue once, when my 10 foot sailing dinghy centreboard broke in a storm, and rowing into 40 Knot winds and 4 foot chop was not doable. Luckily safe land was near, and easy to get to, where I made phone calls and waited for rescue. Not everywhere has communication systems and rescuers to save your life. How much safety gear do you need, can you fit it all in, do you need a bigger boat for it all. And so on. Then when you have decided on, and made, and used your boat, you will make changes, and/or look at other boats, it's a 'disease'. Enjoy !

kerosene likes this.
  3. skaraborgcraft

I think the OP was more of "what if" kinda thing, but its an interesting mental excercise anyway; its hard to give real answers when the where and when is not specified.

This guy had a cruise in a Portland Pudgy, which on larger boats are often used as a replacement to a liferaft. Ask anyone who has spent time in a rubber raft far from any shipping lanes about their next lifeboat, and generally its something that can sail or row towards rescue, at least for those people who believe in self sufficiency, over pushing a button on an epirb.

Smaller boats will always be less able to go to weather, and a drougue/para anchor is usefull. Even a friends 25ton cruiser carries one.

4. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Well then, why all the secrecy?

5. skaraborgcraft

I think any "discouragment" is only to avoid you doing something completely dumb. The fact you ask means you are not.

You could cross to Africa on a calm day with a truck inner tube and a paddle, they have come across from Africa by the same means, but I would not recommend it. If you not on the run, then be sure to land at an appropriate port to clear in with immigration. You do not want to do time in a Morroccan prison for illegal entry.......