Cheapest DIY Bugout Sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lvabd, Dec 11, 2022.

1. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

Ok, so I can just use the "other" step and reef down.

2. skaraborgcraft

skaraborgcraft Senior Member

The Goose explorer also requires you to be outside to helm. I dont think there is room to take off a dry suit down below, and the low freeboard does it no favours either. I expect the trim would dramatically alter if a single person was to attempt to get in the cabin while under sail. The cabin would work as dry stowage if you would be prepared to sleep in the cockpit.

If you can stretch to a 16ft Scram Pram, that would be a more capable boat. I would cross Biscay in an IMB, given a 5 day forecast, if the need was paramount.

Fresh water bottles in a larger tank than can fill with sea water is ok, and cheap ballast, it does work.

Where is this PNR you speak of?

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

There is a thing called self-steering windvane, and it doesn't require electricity. There is also reefing, hove to and drifting, but wich strategy works depends on the prevailing wind and current on your route.

It would be much easier if we actually knew what it is you are trying to do. We are not interested in your bugout plans, only in the conditions of your journey. Is beach launching a necessity? How is the weather? Are you beating or running?
    This are all things that directly affect the design of your boat.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

As well as shipping lanes and boat traffic patterns. Drifting and heaving to are not good strategies in busy shipping lanes.

5. skaraborgcraft

People have used a Kayak to cross the Atlantic or travel from Germany to Australia. No end of things that can do a 3 day passage across a body of water, the limiting factor will be the human.

If its downwind, you could probably lash a few loading pallets together and some plastic drums with a down wind sail, for the scrounging. Personally i would rather have a "boat" that can manouvre under sail, even if it cost me $1,000, than spend $500 and reduce my chances of arriving by a significant amount. Depends on what value you put on your own life.

Like others have hinted, where this happens is an important detail, wam water or cold?.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    Will Gilmore likes this.
  6. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

I haven't decided about the where yet. I don't think I'd enjoy wearing a wetsuit.

Maybe, Morocco to Spain would be a good run, but not much of a challenge I think.

Perhaps, either to the Canarias? Now, that would be worthy of Jacque himself !

7. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

Frank "Dye," hmm that's kind of foreboding. Kind of ratchets-up the suspense, but I guess he made it then?

That whole "dropping the rig in a "gale"" thing has me channeling Gordon Lightfoot's arrangement of "Back Home in Derry."

8. skaraborgcraft

Frank Dye also sailed from Scotland to Iceland. He would drop the rig before conditions got too severe. His mode of travel is too extreme for me, i like to hide in even a small waterproof space and pretend i am somewhere else.

A boat like the IMB , would be my minimum for a short voyage. You will find many people at present leaving Africa for Europe, going the other way is not recommended.

If you are in Canada, it sounds like you are already in the "bug-out" place others will head for. Going from the EU to Canaries is ok till the supplies stop getting shipped in. Uruguay is a likely spot if you can deal with the heat.

9. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Here's the original film of Frank Dye and Bill Brockbank crossing from North West Scotland to Norway, via Rona and the Faroes, in 1964. The really challenging part begins around 18.30:

10. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

Really, why not?

I've been to Africa and there are plenty of ATMs there. The hotels and food can also be a lot cheaper.

To make a long story short, there are three problems with "Northern" Africa. 1. Bobby doesn't want you to go there, which is all the more reason to recommend it. 2. The relative dearth of Bobbies, compared with Sub-Saharan Africa. 3. The overwhelming overabundance of American "Lilly-Pads."

Seems like the Yanks & Africom have a fetish for launching drone-strikes against "Syria" and "Yemen" from there. That's probably why you hear all those stories about pirates off the coast of Somalia; and, "stories" they are, "only" that. Any "real" pirates you run into will be US Navy Seals! Also, huge drone base in Mali, on the Agadez-Plateau.

*Nigeria, is a whole 'nuther can of worms, oil money & the big "H." The Crown Corporation in America, uses Nigeria as a processing and transhipment point! "Our" young men are getting hooked on that trash again! That's also why the "Naira" has historically been so valuable.

Those darned Yanks are worse than the Romans. But, outside of that, I really liked Africa. Quite peaceful compared to Quebec, really!

11. lvabd

lvabd Junior Member

Saa-weeet!

12. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Oh, you're in Quebec.
    Okay, now I understand.
    Best of luck.

comfisherman likes this.
  13. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Quebec and alcatraz... two spots that inspire gaffer tape coated boxes and an escape involving more spartan amenities than a life raft.... who would have thought.

14. skaraborgcraft

I do not want to get into the politics on a boat thread. I know 2 people who were killed while travelling there, another who had his boat rammed, left sinking after they stole everything he had, and barely survived a beach landing with his decks awash, and numerous muggings. Sorry to hear things in Quebec are that bad.

Experiences differ, I generally run into nice people. If you are switched on and aware, still an exciting place. "Africa" is made up of many countries, and i do not wish to tar the entire continent for a few bad apples.

That aside, there is a cheap ferry that runs from Algeciras in Spain to Morrocco, so no need for a boat for that leg. No doubt a friendly Morroccan family driving a Peugot 505 can drop you off in Casablanca.

15. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Dunno if it's political or not, but in my lifetime of not nearly enough travels I'd Hazzard 90% of folks I've met all pretty much wanted to live their lives in peace, minding their own business and going about their lives. Heck the number must be nearer 95%.

Seems at some point that mass of folks who just want to go about their day are better off figuring out how to free themselves of the 5-10% who cause the problems. Then we can solve this issue of how to sail overgrown coffins across the sea.