80 feet monohull sailboat concept

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by F17 Francesco, Dec 27, 2012.

1. F17 Francesco

F17 Francesco Junior Member

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

http://[​IMG]

Move the keel aft a bit

3. michael pierzga

4. michael pierzga

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

WOW! That is one sexy looking boat Michael. Looks like it might have a swing keel and retractable propeller. Interesting that it seems to have a hard second chine.

Several years ago I saw a boat that looked almost identical. It was on the travelift at a small boat yard in Freeport Maine. It reminded me of a giant Laser. It had twin canted rudders, swing keel and other exotic features such as we see in your pictures.

F17 that is a pretty good start for someone who is not a designer. To critique what you have drawn; The transom corners will drag when it is heeled. Why did you put reverse rake in the stem? You have reverse sheer for what reason? It may not have enough displacement according to the waterlines as drawn. The transition from radiused chines to hard chine will complicate the build somewhat.

6. F17 Francesco

Thank you!
    I've notice the problem, the transom is a problem, this is the v1 proj, i'm going to fix it.
    I've put the reverse stem because..... i love it....<3, in my opinion is very nice, no any other reason.
    The displcement is calculeted by delftship, 16500 kg (36300 lbs).
    Probably the boat will never be built but i'm going to fix it.

I've done

Sorry for my english, but i'm from italy.

7. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Exciting looking boat,all it needs is an owner.

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

....not bad, do you know why you installed a cunard fwd? or is it mimicking others.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pretty pictures with no understanding of the concepts. The boat drawn, even if it's appendage locations where optimized, would be a lousy sailor, unless surfing downwind was your only goal. You could always turn on the engine a motor back up course, so you could surf back down again. Whats going on with those waterlines or is it just the poor quality image?

10. F17 Francesco

pretty much exactly

I'm not a designer but i'm a sailor. The cunurd is for balance the canting kell

ty

This afternoon I worked on rig and sail.
    [​IMG]

I've shorted the lenght to 70ft but i have added a retractable bowsprit, i have changed the transom, moveed the keel aft a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hi Francesco.

The profile looks nice, but those waterlines are awful. You need to fair that hull, because water won't like all those kinks, bulges, hollows and corners in the hull. I've attached two pics with highlighted areas which need to be faired:
    prospettiva1.png prospettiva2.png

If this is a project for what should become a real sailboat, the list of technical and functional issues would be pretty long. But if it is just a freetime fun, with the only goal of producing a sexy-looking 3D model, then it might be on a right track - but you should study both the sheer and the stem a bit more into detail.

A reverse sheer sometimes looks good on a powerboat (where it is also functional - giving a better view forward at higher trim angles), but imo can spoil the look of a sailboat. You have to evaluate it's visual effect by rotating the view in positions which simulates the way the boat will be seen by real observers standing on a dock or on another boat.
    Take a look at this case:
    Sheer.jpg

What you see here is the same boat with two different sheer lines. The upper boat has a common concave sheer, and the lower one has a reverse sheer. The camera is set to an angle which simulates the way the boat will be seen while moored to a marina dock.

Please note the big difference in the appearance of the two boats. Though only the sheer line has been changed, the forward parts of two boats are dramatically different when seen from that angle. With reverse sheer, the forward area of the deck curves towards the bow in an (imo) odd, asymmetric and somehow unnatural way. Many persons (me included) will find the silhouette of the lower boat less attractive than the silhouette of the upper boat.

One last consideration. An 80 ft boat is really not difficult to design into a sexy shape. It will be naturally sleek and well-proportioned due to it's length. The real challenge is to make a good-looking and practical 6-7 meter cabin boat. How about trying that task first? ;)

Hope it helps. don't give up and keep improving that thing. :)

Cheers

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I disagree in that reverse sheers have to be ugly, though they are very difficult to make look "right" to the average eye. I have a few that work well, but getting them right took a lot longer than conventional sheers.

The sail plan is absurd at best. Francesco, you'd be well advised to study proportions a bit, if you want to make believable pictures.

13. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

As always, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everything else being equal, I personally prefer a sheer which is upwards-sloped towards the stem for a sailboat, and for most of the powerboats too. :)
    Cheers

14. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...I reckon I have seen enough....good night.

15. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

WTF is a cunard? Im seeing a pair of daggerboards fwd which i have seen referred to as canards. Cunard is the owner of the steamship company that runs the Queen series of ocean liners.
    I agree that reverse sheers can look quite attractive, easier to pull off on longer hulls but more importantly they can serve the function of allowing the overall freeboard to be lower while giving more depth in the center where the accomodations generally are. My favorite reverse sheer boat was the gorgeous 50ft flush deck A class keelboat in New Zealand named Volante, designed by the great Bob Miller (before he became Ben Lexcen) and lightly built of cold molded wood by Max Carter.
    I have to agree with the others that you need to clean up the waterlines, and fair out that chine fwd and bring it down at the transom, its not going to be helpful up high like youve drawn it, look at the photos Micheal posted for ideas. By the inclusion of the fwd daggerboards can one assume you will be using a canting keel?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.