Seaforth Sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by hunter65, Jan 23, 2004.

1. hunter65

hunter65 Junior Member

I'm looking at buying a 1980 Seaforth double-ender. It is in exelent condition and is 24ft LOA. barrier coated and is $6,900. Is this to much to pay for this boat? Is there anyplace that has information about Seaforths. All brand new gear is included with a trailer

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

At this size and money asked, I'd wonder about the value of a surveyor, but . . .

You could get the "HIN" off her stern and run down the manufacture code to see if the outfit is still in business.

The first 3 digits of the "HIN" (located near the rail starboard side aft on double enders) can be used to track down the manufacture on the USCG's list of recognized builders.

If out of business, and not a big surprise after the building craze died so did many boat companies back then, you may find out something about the reputation of their trailer yachts.

In lue of this, ask around the areas marinas, check on line to see if another one is for sale and talk with the owner.

This isn't a bunch of money, but enough to get a real bad taste in you mouth if you guess wrong. This is why a surveyor is such a good thing it beats guessing at the very least and the current owner may pickup some or all of the cost.

When you say "all brand new gear" does this include the engine, electrical, plumbing, electronics, sails, winches, rigging, cleats, fairleads, blocks, everything or does it mean the sails and standing rigging have been replaced, maybe a few trailer rollers? This is where a survey really shines, you'll learn things the owner doesn't even know . . .

Good Luck

3. hunter65

hunter65 Junior Member

I belive its all brand new rigging(He rerigged it for solo sailing). The engine is a diseal, and The boat he's selling is the older of his two boats.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A survey and valuation would answer your questions. It is difficult to say witout inspecting the boat.

5. PAR

New rig for single handing isn't all new gear, just a few pieces of running rigging. I see non big brand boats this age, going for a lot less then near 7 grand. Have you sailed the boat? How do those sails look and set? 24 year old standing rigging isn't something I'd trust, how do those terminals look? Any stains running down the cabin ceiling or liner? Stress cracks? Egged out holes in the tabernacle pivot hole or terminal ends and rig tangs? Hours on the engine? Not sure what of all I'm asking about?

Would you spend this money on a car and not have a mechanic look it over, before your child took it off to collage? Me neither . . . Call a pro or don't cry if you get beat up.

6. hunter65

hunter65 Junior Member

The boat is in very good condition and i just talked to him and he just had it refiber glassed about a year ago. Yes i have sailed it and its very very good handles well. no water stains in or on the cabin and the cleats are also all new (all new rigging also) plus he's willing to throw in all brand new sails (the current ones are 4yrs old). The trailer is also newer about 4yrs old also. The owner is a good friend of my fathers and has helped him restore several boats of his (my dad found an old X boat with a wooden hull). Its a night sleeper and has all the stuff needed for night sailing. plus I am pretty sure it comes with a slip in Lake Winnebago.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Why did they re-fiberglass the boat? Usually it is an indication of structural problems.

8. PAR

Sounds like you've no need for advice here.

"Re-glassed" sounds like blister repair, this may be a common problem for the model as it is for many yachts of that era.

Check for stress cracks in high load areas, like the surrounding glass where cleats and winches are mounted, corners of cabins and comings, hard turns in the glass, like where the cabin sides meet the deck or the turn of the deck cap over the deck/hull joint. Cracks at chain plates and radiating out from the screws holding the rub strip to the hull/deck joint.

The slip could be a great selling point, if you get it for some time. Slip fees have gone up as much as the national dept in recent years, making for a sweet deal.

Have the engine checked out, they cost a bunch to have fixed. Get the new sails and the deal should hinge on them as it's another big expense you don't want to have to make. Seems a bit excessive for a diesel in such a small craft. I'm putting a deck on a Catalina 24 and it runs to hull speed with a 5 horse kicker on it's transom. If it's a fat, deep bellied craft, she may need 10 or more horses and the diesel is the safe way to go, if a bit heavy, smoke filled and noisy, perfect for a little cruiser.

Have fun, Good Luck . ..

9. hunter65

hunter65 Junior Member

Thanks and the inspector is lined up to come on over in a week to check everything out. thanks for the advice.

10. hunter65

hunter65 Junior Member

The Inspector said the boat was in good condition. The reason for the re-figerglassing was the boat was used for racing and it was crashed by the crew.

11. guest

guest Guest

Its a boat that can travel the world.......so the cost is nothing for you will get a (I call them freedom boats) a boat that will take you anywhere.
    Not that many for sale and in good shape.....
    Good luck......

12. PAR

Having traveled the world and knowing a bit about crossing the ponds, a 24' pocket yacht isn't the way to go, though some have, I wouldn't. Life aboard is a big set of compromises, especially for the other half, whom may not share the same level of enthusiasm as yourself. Stuffing that into a 24'er would be quite painful for more then a weekend in my way of thinking.

Take the post from the "guest" whom has little else to do but to offer advice at 5 'till 4 in the morning, for what it's worth, skip the grain of salt and down the whole shaker full.

Good luck with your project, let us know how it works out and send some pictures . . .

13. Terry May

Terry May Guest

Go Knots

I owned a Seaforth 24 for many years it was a great boat not a good boat for racing but very safe. The boat was so stable in heavy weather that my wife fell asleep in 8 foot seas one night. I always felt safe on that boat it was easy to handle and very forgiving. I sold for it for $5000.00 to use the money to buy a house. The boat was in great shape and needed nothing. I'm looking to buy another Seaforth 24 or Precision 24 (same design) soon

14. hunter65

hunter65 Junior Member

Pictures Soon

I just put the Boat in the Water last week and pictures should be coming as soon and we get some decent weather. The boat barely rocks when i stand on the side and i weigh 250lbs!!! the boat is extremely stable and thanks to Terry I did decide to buy the boat because of his testimony.

15. sailawaybobby

sailawaybobby seaforth

seaforth owner.

Hello, Just found this web site. I am also fortunate to own a seaforth. It is a lot of boat for a little price. I havn't sailed it as much as I would like but what I have did she's preformed flawlessly. I have had it out in 30 knot winds when I was the only boat in the bay and she owned it. Very stable and quite impressive for her size. I was crew on a Cal 31 that raced the Isla Mujers race to Cancun Mx. from St. Pete Fl. I would of felt safer on my Seaforth. I have some pictures of my boat but I cant figure out how to post them. I also got original paper work with it that has all the specifications. I will try and post those to if I'm able. Would be interested in seeing pictures of your inboard diesel and what it is. I understand that the originals from the last production line were renaults 8hp. This boat was originally diesel but factory converted to an outboard well. I would like to get the inboard back installed. Your prop and pitch would also be helpful for me to see and size. Thanks for posting this form.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.