cheap hull from boatbuilder

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Hornblower, May 29, 2012.

1. Hornblower

Hornblower Junior Member

Hello,
    one day I would like to build my own very special boat (size round about 9m x 2,30m).
    First I thought about building the boat completely myself. But now I think a boatbuilder should better build the hull for me.

A one-off is normaly quite expensive to build.
    The easiest hullshape would be a "Knickspant" ("bend-bulkhead"?), is it?
    For DIY the "stitch-and-glue" would be a good method. What cheap method could a professional boatbuilder choose?

Cheers
    Hornblower

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Build it yourself - but you will need a shed big enough for the whole boat... I am biased toward cats (which may not be suitable for German regional waters (cold and ice?)

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/ has local boats for sale in Australia
    http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/cheapcat.html this can be a very economical power boat or coastal sailing (not really ocean-going) but really good fun and cheap, and simple to build...

I would strongly suggest buy a boat as the prices are coming down with the consequences of fear and economic turmoil in the markets...

If you are not going to PERMANENTLY LIVE ABOARD then go small and trailer sized to keep at home in your garage / back of home shed... and tow it to water for weekend trips according to the seasons...

Live aboard is a permanent thing as the costs usually preclude maintaining house and largish boat...