1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

powerboatlistings.com and sailboatlistings.com

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Jeff, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Preowed Powerboats @ powerboatlistings.com Preowned Sailboats @ sailboatlistings.com

[ Begin shamless plug ]

Because I am unable to resist a good domain name, I have purchased both www.powerboatlistings.com and www.sailboatlistings.com (as well as navalarchitecture.org, boatdesign.info, yachtdesign.info, and a couple others which I am still working on developing over the next few months :))

In any case, powerboatlistings.com and sailboatlistings.com are now active sites. Powerboatlistings.com currently has 150 boats listed, and Sailboatlistings.com has 250 boats listed already. Still very very small, but growing by the day. And best of all, there is no charge if you want to list a boat or boats for sale at either site.

[​IMG]

www.powerboatlistings.com
    Free Listings for PreOwned Powerboats

[​IMG]

www.sailboatlistings.com
    Free Listings for PreOwned Sailboats

Of course you are still welcome to post in our marketplace forum as well, and all "wanted" ads and ads for items specifically of interest to designers and boat builders (plugs, molds, materials, supplies, equipment, significant or one-of-a-kind or historic boats would be well placed in this forum as well.)

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Power Boat Listings is pretty neat (better than Boatraderonline.com) I put up a listing and it is very easy to use!
    Good work Jeff.

3. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

[Begin...

shameless plug thinly disguised as thanks]

Jeff

Like the sites, simple and clean, I posted up my Nantucket Clipper - no problems. Think its going to be very sucessful!

Paul

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Thanks guys!

I still have to do some tweaking here and there and have some features to add, but I'm glad they came out ok so far.

(Just have to keep myself from buying any new domains until I finish the ones on the table ;) Once we have a couple thousand boats listed on each I think I'll offer 'premium' listings on the front page or something along those lines to generate some income to funnel back into boatdesign.net (a second server, maybe some funds for a competition, etc.).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

5. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Instead of putting the money towards a BD competition (feels evil glares) at first why not put it towards promoting the web sities first?

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Because my heart is really in a design related web site rather than a brokerage site. Listing used boats is good because you get to see some nice boats and some really interesting ones now and again, but I really enjoy design and new construction most. And I would love to have our site at the center of a design competition. But it's just a thought at this point. Maybe more promotion to increase visibility is first. Maybe some print advertising, but that can get expensive too. For now it just seemed like a natural thing to get going (even if slowly at first) for a future compliment to our main site.

PowerboatListings.com
    May 2002 556113 Requests : 19685 Pages
    Jun 2002 542441 Requests : 18861 Pages
    Total Bytes Served 7873250190

SailboatListings.com
    May 2002 240000 Requests : 14148 Pages
    Jun 2002 239329 Requests : 12553 Pages
    Total Bytes Served 8547442694

7. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Just an question/idea are you going to have a dealer package on powerboatlistings.com (like boattraderonline.com)? I know you were thinking about having a preimum ad. I thought it would be a good Idea and I would be intrested in it.

8. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

What program are you using to do your sites? I could help a bit possably if you need it. And I wanted to know if you thinking about adding a parts section along with a engine section besides the boats I think it would bring in more people and add diversity. Just some ideas in my deep pondering.......... :D

9. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

One moe thing............("hears" the sounds of boredom)

Are you going to add a hit counter for number of visits towards a persons product? And a contact request(email request counter)?
    If you want to "borrow" Boat trader's concept I could take a screen shopt for you.

10. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Screen shot

11. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions Nomad!

A per record hit counter is a great idea and I've put it on my to-do list. A request counter is an even better idea - I'll have to think about the best way to implement this.

I thought I would wait until a couple thousand records have been added to approach dealers so it will be a more attractive resource.

Engines and parts - not a bad idea either! Thanks again for all the ideas.

12. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Your welcome Jeff and expect more in the future..........................

13. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

14. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Are you going to add a current add # counter and/or a all time counter?

15. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

? - I was thinking of per listing. I suppose the only thing that really matters is the # of inquiries and the rest is just eye candy. If someone wanted a total for views (e.g. a dealer) I would just show them the server stats for the account. We could probably also have a "satisfaction guaranteed" arrangement for dealers when the time comes.

And I sent an email so you have my address – if anyone else ever wants to email me directly you can always send email to webmaster@boatdesign.net

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.