Chart For Jet Design

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by navarch_hish, Sep 14, 2006.

1. navarch_hish

navarch_hish Junior Member

I am designing a jet drive based on the ship trust and Vs/Va.

I am looking for a chart which is a plot of Vs/Va and Vs/Vj (jet ratio)..

it has an optimum effciency line, what we do based on the ship's Vs/Va we find out Vs/Vj for optimum efficiency..

I am lookn for the chart, can anyone provide me the chart, it will be really helpful for my project work..

here

Vs= ship speed
    Va = Velocity of advance

Vj= velocity of water at jet outlet..

ALso can anyone tell me jet effeciency applicable for cataramans operating in the range of 35 knots?

2. alpamis34

alpamis34 Senior Member

Hi mate,
    The initial issue while designing a jet propulsion is to take the Vin/U ratio into account where Vin is the velocity of the flow in the duct just after the water intake gap. U is the velocity of the downstream flow ,basically the domain beneath the hull. If this ratio is too low, the duct will end up with a choked flow and if it is high then it will have erosion aand cavitation problems.

I dont have the charts on my pc but I have some on the books and as I have read from them , the efficiency of the waterjet prop. comes above 30 35 knots.I might give you some info as I go more throughly.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.