Centreboard keel???? Please help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by graemey, May 10, 2008.

1. graemey

graemey New Member

Hey there guys.
    I have a 6 ft or so fibreglass boat and i noticed it is missing the middle fin/centreboard, im new to boating and was wondering do i need one? does it improve stability? thanks

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Ah - bit more info ... sail, power, paddle - can you send a picture.

Not a lot ot go on my friend!

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If there is a slot through to the bottom ,you don't have the dagger board (as it's called when it doesn't swing but lifts straight out), then you have a sailboat (more properly a sailing dinghy or pram).
    You therefore have a sail and a rudder.
    If so, find a plywood board that will slip loosely into the slot, and screw two 3/4" x 3/4" cleats on each side about four inches down from the top, and make a slot for your hand to lift the board out.
    The board can be 24" longer than the height of the slot it fits through. It should be rounded off on all of its edges and painted well. The edges could be fiberglass-taped as well with two layers, prior to painting.

Alan

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

No, it doesn't add anything to the stability of the boat. Most every boat that size will be "tender", a term we use to describe an easily tipped boat. It's a function of size mostly in very small boats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.