building a new shoe or skeg

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by samson34, Apr 5, 2009.

1. samson34

samson34 New Member

i have a 34 ft downeast maine lobster boat had to move rudder so have to extend the shoe so i want to know what is the best friberglass cloth to use
    there is a 24 by 38 rudder on it so it needs to be strong thanks guys i am thinking ox using biaiaxl with a mat on it

2. samson34

samson34 New Member

no one has an opinion on what is the highest strenght fiberglass for this type of
    work

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

the material you mention is appropriate (BTI ?) but keep in mind that the secondary bond of polyester is okay, at best. I recommend epoxy for this application but make sure that the material you use is compatable. Don't get too hung up on "which material is strongest" as you should match the "strength" of what you have and anything but straight matt is strong enough (and it is typically NOT compatible with epoxy). Let us see what you are doing! - Mark