Bateau GT27 Mods

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Mar 6, 2010.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Just purchased plans for a small plywood houseboat from Bateau.

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GT27

They have a great discussion forum at their site, and it turns out another one is being built in western australia ( I am in the southeast) , and like me, has lots of questions and re-designing ideas going on.

My own initial impression is that the dinky little outboard motor holder would be better as a full size hull extension. As it is (black lines) there is a lot of bolting on, re-inforcing and general mucking around to produce a 'tacked on' box that doesnt increase planing ability, and a handy step up from the water

This appears to be a very forgiving utilitarian hull design, so I am trying to think of reasons why running the interior stringers out through the stern transom, and extending the hull into an outboard well might be a bad idea.

All observations welcome

Attached Files:

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The usual concern with hull extensions in typical mid-engine hulls with fixed tanks is that the boat will trim down by the bow. I don't think this small extension will be a problem in an outboard boat with (presumably) movable tanks.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

my 2 cents :D
    as you know i often recommend Bateau plans, and i like this one for the specified application
    I would suggest the outboard bolt on bracket type
    its easy to make, relatively inexpensive AND they work very well, seen lots of them
    what you are proposing is extra headaches and extra work for nothing
    rather stick to the plans and dont make changes
    changes ALWAYS come to bite you in the arse later when you dont need it
    and a beautifull motor for this is Evinrude 50 E-tec (pure magic)

Attached Files:

• 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      43.4 KB
      Views:
  4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys - very much appreciated.
    Tad's re-assurance on my own 'gut feeling' is handy, and Mani's comment on 'dont mess with the design' is very valid.

I guess it boils down the Manies words "extra headaches and extra work for nothing".

In my mind, the process of extending the beams to extend the hull and form an engine pod, doesnt seem a lot more work than the fiddle of the outboard box. The pod looks simple in the large scale drawing, but its quite 'messy' with lots of re-inforcing and odd bits, in the plan details.

The advantages I am looking for:
    1) Mounting for an auxilliary motor.
    2) Assistance with getting in and out of the water. (As it stands, if you fell overboard, getting back in would be a real bugger, let along if you just want to go for a swim.)
    3) Increasing the planing area.
    4) Somwhere to stand when the engine breaks down away from land, and you have to investigate under the hood, change plugs or whatever.

I will go and have a good think about it all. What fun :)

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Oh, I menat to ask what you like about the Etec 50. I am weighing up all the outboard options, and 50 HP is right in my sights.

I see they have boarding platforms beside the motor pod too :)

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The boat belongs to a very dear friend of mine that i have known since school days
    He really uses the boat just about every weekend and i have spent some very memorable weekends aboard
    I am on the boat at least every two months and it is fanatstic

The motors are about 4 years old and have never given any trouble
    Very light on fuel and the services are cheap. Everytime i step on board i am amazed at how good the motors are after so much usage, they still run as good as new.

Attached Files:

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I have just googled Melbourne
    you have some fantastic cruising there for this Bateau GT27

I would go for the E-Tec50 as a primary and a little 10 hp as a secondary (kicker) just see that the 10 hp can also charge batteries

You will have a whole lot of fun with this "weekend cottage"

;) maybe one day i will come and cruise around there myself in the micro
    must be a shitload of nice pubs and restaurants and little hide aways:)

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, its a lovely place to boat, but I am going to build the boat in an even lovelier place. Port Phillip Bay is surronded by 3.5 million people, and this wonderfull, beautifull bay is having the sh%*&@t knocked out of it.

In two months I am moving to the mainland of Australia, called Tasmania. (Australia is the slightly larger Island to the North). Down in the southwest is are two large rivers (the Derwent and the Huon), joined by a lovely stretch of blue water protected by a large offshore Island. You can still fish for Abalone, Crayfish, Tuna etc., and people will actually talk to you in the streets.

The configuration you mention is right up my alley, and the activities you mention are just spot on.

Dear Manie - pleeeease do not attempt the voyage to Orstralia in your little craft, but do please visit any time you like. Cheers for now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.