Challenge: The 100$ boat!

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by DanishBagger, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why don't you go to a fibre glass company and ask for a reject. Ive done this a few times. Just picked up a 4 meter fishing dinghy for 40 dollar. It had been upside down in the car park for 3 years and had pox holes in the gell coat ( big deal). I cut it in half made a 2.5 meter dinghy and painted it.

If you don't ask you get nowt.

2. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Last boat and a new!

Haha I really like the pipe canoe.
    As I told before my first boat costed about 50 bucks.
    The boat I am building right now does cost a little bit more. Most because of a 6,5Hp brand new motor I paid about 250$ for. I used a horisontal grascutter engine. But the boat itself will cost about 250$.

So I think it will end in about 500$ with motor. And I think this is quite cheap for all the joy I have building it.

Attached Files:

3. GIMike

GIMike Junior Member

http://www.instructables.com/id/Duct-Tape-Kayak/ That almost looks like fun. With the different types of duct tape availalbe, you could have a flourescent colored or flame covered kayak. The only problem I see is with the final picture. He's showing a dog in the kayak in a pool. Judging from the size of the dog, a person would take up most of the room in that kayak. While it may float well and not sink, I'm guessing it would need to be much wider and possibly longer to support a person? Fun idea though :)

4. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Oh my! 20 bucks.
    Right now I am sitting in my sofa and smile.
    I like the idea. But as you said before I agree about the stbility of this one.
    Maybe a little more wider and it would actually work.

5. GIMike

GIMike Junior Member

I'm seriously considering building this one in a month or so. Since I've never built any type of boat before, and haven't even been in a boat in 10 years, I figure this may be the best start If I screw it up, I'm only out $20 :D With my finances being what they are, I'd much prefer to only be out $20 instead of $100+ :) And if it works good enough, I'll have learned a thing or two by building this one to make one made from better wood and a different covering next time around.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.