Aqua Cat Repairs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Iggy1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Iggy1

Iggy1 New Member

I bought an Aqua Cat, it's all in good shape but one of the pontoons slowly fills with water. I checked the drain plug and it seems to fit snug and I don't see any holes. I was out sailing last weekend and after about an hour it had taken on quite a bit of water. Any ideas on how to fix this leak would be appreciated
    Regards

Iggy

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Iggy.

There are basically two approaches to dealing with the situation:
    1.) find out where the water is coming in and
    2.) plug up the likely suspects.

The first approach will require finding a food coloring that contrasts with the hull color. Mix it with the water inside, then tilt the boat this way and that to see if you can spot any water coming out.

A big problem with this approach is you may not be able to find suitable food coloring and the leak may be in an area that is hard to see.

The second approach will require rolls of duct tape.

What you do is go after the prime suspects and seal them up, one at a time.

Suspect one should be the hull/deck joint. I'd seal that off first. Go sailing afterward and see if the leak continues.

If it does, suspect number two the tramp uprights, where they seat into the hull. Seal them up next, then go sailing.

The last suspect is probably the rudder attachments to the hull, known as gudgeons. Tape around the edges of them and see what happens to the leak.

Most likely the water is coming in through at least one of these areas, maybe even all three.

Once the leak has been stopped, remove the duct tape from one area at a time, starting with the first area you sealed that failed to stop the leak. Go sailing and see if the leak returns. If it does, you know you have at least two leaks.

The duct tape comes off best with hot water and kerosene.

The second approach

3. Iggy1

Iggy1 New Member

thanks
    I suspect, and it is just a guess, that the water is leaking in where the top of the pontoon, joins the bottom, but I don't know what to seal it with

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Use the bubble test.
    Mix up soap and water - dish soap works fine.
    Apply a very low pressure to the inside of the hull from the drain port.
    Slop the soapy water on anywhere you think is leaking. watch for bubbles. It generally looks like a collection of small bubbles in a "lump".

Be very carefull not to overpressure the hull. A manual foot pump for inflating a camping mattress would work well.

I don't have a suggestion for the sealent. Getting to the leak point could be a real problem. You might have to drill a hole or two in the deck.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A shop vac will generate plenty of internal pressure in short order. Slop the soapy water on as Upchurch says. You will find the problem or maybe several problems. If the deck/hull joint is the problem it can be sealed with a variety of goops. 3M 5200 will probably do it.

6. Iggy1

Iggy1 New Member

Thanks for the help, now I know how to find the problem, it should be all good
    Thanks again

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.