recommendations for design software specific to twin keel designs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldhunter_2, Apr 20, 2010.

1. goldhunter_2

goldhunter_2 Junior Member

Hi I have read allot of info for this site over the years but this is my first post so be gentle on me .... :D (I do see the best of polls at the top of the page also)

My question is for recommendations for a simple design software specific to true twin keel designs? (not belige or deep fin keels)

I am not a stranger to designing and building all types of boat hulls over the years but have to admit this computerized age has me at a disadvantage but the ability to design on the computer and have cut files for the plasma table would save me considerable time and money for this project. I will probably still use a marine architect but would like to find a free or low cost design program to iron out most of the details before I present it to him. preferable a program not to complex

if it makes any difference I have used carslons and crane programs before I can't remember witch one I liked best now, but one had a float displacement test that I could enter the info form my hand drawings then test the load it could safely handle and it worked very accurately! but would take me several days to input the drawing info for the hull design (that was me not the programs:rolleyes: )

Any software recommendations specific to a true twin keel design program would be appreciated

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hi,
    Well, be it a single, twin, triple or n-ple keel boat, the design software is always the same. :)
    I find Freeship (http://freeship-plus.pisem.su/downloadsE.html) very simple to use, and it is freeware. Many people here use it and many tutorial threads can be found in this forum.
    But if you need an official and reliable technical support, then you should use Delftship (http://www.delftship.net/) - which is pretty similar but a bit more professionaly done, and is not freeware (though it really doesn't cost too much for what it offers).
    If you can spend some more money, I note that Maxsurf (www.formsys.com/maxsurf) is pretty popular.
    If you need to get into a detailed 3D design and you are not affraid of a somewhat steep learning curve, you could consider Rhinoceros (http://www.rhino3d.com/marine.htm) and it's plug-in for marine design called Orca3D. Hope that will help.
    Cheers!

3. goldhunter_2

goldhunter_2 Junior Member

Thanks I'll check out freeship. The max a delft I did try before but where apparently above my learning curve..lol

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.