CFD PhD?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Contraband, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Contraband

Contraband Junior Member

Hi Everyone, I am a graduate Mechanical Engineer with an MSc focused on CFD, not for a specific marine application though. I would like to find work using CFD for marine applications. My question is this: In order to be employable in this field, do I need to obtain a PhD focused on Marine CFD applications? I would also appreciate any links, suggestions, to existing companies that are doing this kind of R & D work. And if I do infact need a PhD, any information as to the best option for Marine CFD. Thanks!
    CB

2. nico

nico Senior Member

Hello, I have started a PhD in marine cfd in Scotland 3 months ago. From my experience; a PhD is required, i am learning a lot of new things here, and obviously i have to go in more details. After my Msc, i didnt spend much time looking for a work, but it didnt seem straightforward. In the end, i ll feel much more confident using CFD after my phd than after my Msc.
    I dont think you need a Phd focused on marine cfd. Once you have a good knowledge of the cfd tool (here a finite volume, unstructured, code) you can apply it to everything, but work on 2 phases flows might be more interesting.
    You should try to contact the department here (http://www.na-me.ac.uk/). They might have some PhD opportunities.

3. Contraband

Contraband Junior Member

Hi Nico, Thanks for the reply. I did surf by your department, I'll get in contact with them soon. Could you recomend a promoter at the department who could be contacted for, specifically marine CFD? I guess, while CFD stays an expensive, complicated tool for research, it will be a long time until the R&D using CFD techniques leaves the university sphere of influence. Thanks again
    CB

4. nico

nico Senior Member

You can contact the head of department. CFD is heavily used in the marine field. At least in the ship industry. But money is there.
    A fair bit of R&D is validation of cfd results for different case. My own project is to develop a CFD solver from the beginning, very interesting.