Solidworks Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by dtoshni, May 29, 2009.

1. dtoshni

dtoshni Junior Member

Hey everyone! :)

This is me troubling you with yet another (stupid) doubt. Hope you all will again come to my rescue.

I am trying to export a complicated geometry as a STEP file from Solidworks, so that I can read it in Gambit. But when I tried this, I observed that the Gambit file had all the internal surfaces too(obviously). And hence, I have a lot of these small surfaces, which are inside the body and hence dont really matter. So its really difficult for me to attach size functions and do other operations because selection of the right faces becomes kind of difficult for me given the huge list of faces in the list.

Is there anyway around this? Can I just somehow export only the visible surfaces from Solidworks into Gambit? Or is there any filter in Gambit which would allow me to work with only the visible surfaces?

Thank you in advance. :)

2. sc0

sc0 Junior Member

Hey dtoshni,
    This may be a slight roundabout way of accomplishing what you're trying to do but I'll take a stab at it...

Save the SW assembly as a part and under the "assembly geometry to save in the file" prompt highlight "exterior faces" before pressing the save button. Now close the assembly and open the part just saved, then save again as a step file to import into Gambit.

Hope this helps!
    -scott

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.