centrufigul jet dirve

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by skyrunner06, Mar 11, 2007.

1. skyrunner06

skyrunner06 sailor all around boatist

hey everyone im pretty new here but i have been involved in boating all my life
    i receantly had an idea for a new jet drive system involving a centrifigul pump instead of an impeller for those of you who have never heard of one its like a water wheel that spins around like an impeller on its side. they use them at silver mines becuse they can get the water pressure to like 25000 psi and i was thinking that it may be feasable to make one small enough to fit in a jet ski and still have the same or better preformance? any thought on this one

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

theres a lot of options out there. the pump in your ski is a centrifigul pump it just uses a differant style of impeller. you ski is most likely a mixed flow pump were as the pump your talking about is a radial flow pump most likely in stages
    the more stages the more pressure but the horsepower needed
    the big question would be can this be made small enough and still develope pressure to get the speed you're looking for.
    simply pressure is made by the shape of the impeller housing a lone
    good luck don't give up yet you my have something

3. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

Already been done.

4. redtech

redtech Senior Member

stonebreaker as it has already killed the cat just would like to know who and what was the resolutes

5. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

6. skyrunner06

skyrunner06 sailor all around boatist

cool thanks everyone

7. RMSOSF

RMSOSF Junior Member

there are a lot of options as said before, but efficiency is the key. The inline jetpump style gives the best performance with the least amout of HP. The more the water has to travel through a pump, the less efficient it is.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.