Deck Plan

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by chopboy, Aug 9, 2004.

1. chopboy

chopboy New Member

hi, i was wondering if anyone had some ideas on the deck layout of a cruising yacht, probably 40 - 60 feet long. this is for an assignment and i have no real experiance with yachts. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    chopboy.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

I have plenty of ideas. What specifically are you looking for?
    I fyou need to know more about "typical" deck layouts, then you need to visit a marina and have a look at some. That is the really bestest way to find out more. If you have no idea what a good one looks like compared to a bad one, then you also need to talk to the owners of the boats in the marina. If you explain your interest, they will usually be willing to talk your ears off about how they like or dislike theirs, and why. And they guy on the next boat along, identical to the one you're looking at, will have a completely different set of opinions to the first owner :)

Steve

3. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Roger Marshall has written a book about deck layout: "Designed to Win". It is, however, from 1979 and in many respects somewhat outdated.

4. chopboy

chopboy New Member

sorry probably should have bene more specific to begin with. we have a new subject this year called yacht design, as one of our assignments we have been given the task of designing a yacht. (deck plan, general arrangement, underwater profile view, and rational.) The type offered that i have decided on is a cruising yacht for tasmanian waters. The marina here in launceston has very few sailing vessels berthed with most anchored in the river. I was wondering if there are any links or sources of information regarding the deck layout of saiiling vessels.
    thanks for the reference sorenfdk, i'll look it up.
    chopboy

5. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Try this link, there must be something usefull there to start with:

http://www.boat-links.com/

Furthermore, in "Principals of Yacht design" there is some guidance, but nothing substantial.
    I might be able to mail you an example, but I'll have to look it up.
    I'll mail it asap.

Peter

6. chopboy

chopboy New Member

thanks peter that would be greatly appreciated.

chopboy

7. Dutch Peter

Chopboy,

Hope this is what your looking for. Example is of a 44 ft sailing yacht.
    Hope you can read it, otherwise let me know, and I'll look for more.

Regards,

Peter

Attached Files:

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

How could I not help out a fellow Taswegian!. :D sick of the rain yet! :mad:

Take a look at the Harken ( www.harken.com ) & Ronstan ( www.ronstan.com ) web sites. These guys make winches etc - lots of info there. They usually have examples of 'typical' rigging set-ups.

You should also be able to find quite a bit by looking at manufacturers websites. Look in the directory here on boatdesign.net http://www.boatdesign.net/directory/Sailboats/
    The C&C site is particularly good. http://www.c-cyachts.com/ click on 'the fleet' then each of the views of thew boat will become available. All those that you need for your project are there. The boats may be a little racey but they'll give you a good start....

9. chopboy

chopboy New Member

thanks very much guys, the info has been really handy, and it came though great thanks peter.
    yeah it has been a bit damp recently, i hope it is clear for friday, we are going sailing.

thanks agian everyone, it is greatly appreciated.
    chopboy.

10. Dutch Peter

Always glad to help. If you need more info, just post.

Regards,

Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.