99 Explorer 19 Tunnel V repairs

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Aransas Flats Rat, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Aransas Flats Rat

Aransas Flats Rat Senior Member

My name is Travis live in Texas near the Corpus Christi area and I have recently purchased a 1999 Explorer 19tv. I did a lot of research on them and decided to go with one as they seem to be a very versatile boat as we enjoy both fresh and salt water fishing. I’ve owned and operated boats for over 25 years and have had a USCG Captains license for the past 10 years. Most of the previous boats have been tunnels i.e. shallow sport.

As always the previous owner said boat was well taken care of and I’m learning a lot about the meaning difference between people :)

When purchased I did the usual inspection, crawled underside and inspected the hull exterior and wasn’t surprised to see the scares as the boat will run skinny so no big deal, did the hammer tap test on transom and all solid, jumped on every inch of the deck and no soft spots, saw the usual signs leaves stacked behind the fuel tank, mold in storage areas all signs that the boat spent some time outside and it was a 18 year old hull so I expect to do some repairs and enjoy a project so here I go.

2. Aransas Flats Rat

Boat on day of pick up

Attached Files:

3. Aransas Flats Rat

I first stripped the boat down pretty much everything that was bolted or screwed on

Attached Files:

4. Aransas Flats Rat

Ok so this is what I was talking about on the hull. Most scratches/gouges are not through the glass.
    My question is,
    Should I rough up with some 80-120 grit clean up with acetone and respray the area?

The area in the pics are of the V were it meets the pocket tunnel

Would really appreciate any input and suggestions, good bad and ugly.

Attached Files:

5. Aransas Flats Rat

Not to overload but I also wanted some input about this pic, it shows the area I spoke of about the stress cracks in the gelcoat locate in the pocket tunnel.

Should I be concerned or gouge them out and respray?

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Aransas Flats Rat

I was surprised when I removed the hatches in the deck and found the core to be 1” thick and glassed on both sides. And when I removed the transom hull drains it seems to be 2.5”-3” thick. I have know way to inspect stringers, should I cut inspection holes in the deck?

I did already drill through the transom area to install a live well pump and core was solid and dry.
    Thanks

7. PPRINT

PPRINT RobT

Hi Flats Rat....I'm a fellow Texan (Boerne) and just love these shallow water boats. I have my own project with oyster rash so I am waiting to see what the Pros recommend for that.

I will suggest not cutting into that boat unless the deck or hull is indicating a problem. These things turn into a serious cash pit lickity split.

If you can get the OEM hull weight you can compare it to what you have now and determine if there is a substantial amount of water log. Something like that would sway me more towards cutting into it.

Otherwise, shine it up, rig it up, and start it up.

Tight lines my friend,
    Rob

8. Aransas Flats Rat

Thanks for the reply, when I removed the main hull drain plug housings I found that one side only had a dab of sealant on it and I would suspect that’s the culprit. I tipped the boat as high as I could lift it with a tractor and only got about a half gallon of that out initially and then only a drip.

Attached Files:

9. Aransas Flats Rat

Rob,

We are only about an hour apart. Live off 470

Travis

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  10. Aransas Flats Rat

Only thing that concerns me on the bottom is the stress cracks in the pocket tunnel but all research says Glen had an issue with the gelcoat on several of these boats and I have found several spots I ground out so far that were air pockets in the gelcoat. The boat is super solid and I can’t find a soft spot in it but I just wanted to be sure 100%.

11. Aransas Flats Rat

a little love from this

Attached Files:

12. Aransas Flats Rat

To this after a lot of bleach and scrubbing :D you can only imagine how the storage areas looked

Attached Files:

13. Aransas Flats Rat

What are you working on?

My plan is to trash the flip seat and build a lean post, install on deck 23 gallon live well, forward casting deck and new cooler holders with handles as these boats have a reputation for giving you a religious moment if turned to hard :) and the result is an end swap

But most say it’s usually driver error.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  14. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Do the stress cracks align with the bunk boards? If so probably from bouncing over an awful lot hole. Given the overall stoutness, I would not worry about them.

If it came to my shop, I would;
    +Use 60 grit on gouges and stress cracks
    +roll a coat or two of gelcoat suffocating with PVA
    +block fair with 80 grit
    +counter block with 120 grit
    +Spray gelcoat and PVA
    +wet sand and polish

But if it were my boat, I would go fishing.

15. Aransas Flats Rat

Lol thanks that brings a great deal of relief, I will do as said. Now that you mentioned it they do run in line with bunk boards. A lot to do prior to fishing, my boys are scratching there heads asking dad why did you take the boat apart? It’s just my personality to have it right and not worry if things get rough as they do I’m going to get them home safe as well as respect for this old girl. Thanks again

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.