Centerboard design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MastMonkey, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I do not see how I contradicted myself. High aspect ratio is more efficient, but will also stall at a lower angle of attack. You are correct that a high performance rudder in the hands of a skilled helmsman will perform better, but in my experience of everyday use, simple low aspect ratio rudders are less likely to get you in trouble. I have seen people over control high aspect ratio rudders that lead to pilot frustration, your average recreational sailor I think is usually over their head when it comes to proper use of their own rigging and gear.

I have been sailing with yacht owners and asked why don't they adjust their traveler to flatten the sail, they had no idea what I was talking about. This is not unusual for your recreational sailor. You can not expect those who are using a sailboat to know how to use it properly.

I think most designers agree with my assumptions since most recreational sailboats and cruisers have low aspect ratio rudders, you only see high aspect rudders on high performance sailboats, ones intended for skilled crews that use proper technique.

So you are correct, but what is best all depends on the intended use and the user.

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

My apologies, Petros, you didn't contradict yourself at all. I misread your post.

I think we are, in essence, of the same opinion, subject to a control and handling question.

Tim B.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.