centerboard design question

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by byankee, Jan 10, 2006.

1. byankee

byankee Junior Member

I'm trying to design a sailing rig for a 14 foot flat bottom skiff. The sail area will be 70 sq ft. According to Jim Michalak's web pages, the submerged portion of the board should be about 4% of the sail area which works out to 2.8 sq. ft. One question: The skiff has a skeg of approx. 1 sq. ft. submerged area. Should I include the skeg's area when sizing the board to come up with a total underwater plane area of about 2.8 sq. ft. (i.e center board area of 1.8 sq. ft. plus the skeg area = the required 2.8 sq. ft.)?

Thanks.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I would include the skeg in the calculations, but bump up the total to about 3 sq ft. which should include about 1/2 the submerged rudder area too. The skeg will shift the CLR back a bit so take that into your calculations and don't forget your lead (like reed) too.

Steve