Center console

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by jbheels, Feb 15, 2010.

1. jbheels

jbheels New Member

Is it worth trying to save money and build a center console for my skiff or should I just buy one?

2. goodwrch

goodwrch Junior Member

3. The copper guy

The copper guy Junior Member

Yes You Can Do A Grate Job!!!!!

Ether build a mold, Or a plug
    The plastic wood now available can be bent and shaped taking compound curves quit readily for a very nice finished job.
    But only if the job appeals to you financially you will do just as well to look at WHAT GOODWRCH HAS ON OFFER if not

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

It's worth of building if you get a console that's functional.. No fence against the commercial ones, but some are just for the looks..

Here is one almost done..

Attached Files:

5. The copper guy

The copper guy Junior Member

Hiya Teddy
    I am impressed with your work.
    If that photo dos not give jbheels the incentive i don't know what will?

6. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

Building a simple console is easy and rewarding. Make some cardboard mockups and when you have a finalized shape, 1/4" plywood and some 1x2 stock will make it easy and light. Cover it in 6 ounce cloth for protection. You could also use foam instead of plywood, but you will have to put cloth on both sides to make it strong and light. You will never buy one that fits perfectly or has all the features you want and you will probably spend less money building it yourself too.

7. Typhoon

Typhoon Senior Member

I say build one too! It's so easy to do.
    Commercially available fibreglass centre consoles are very heavy, expensive and impractical. My boat weighs just on 100kgs with the lightweight plywood centre console and deck, no way I'd have gotten it that light with a pre made console, plus they were all too big.
    6-8mm marine ply, timber battens to glue and screw it together and glue/screw/fibreglass it to the floor.
    My centre console was styled after a motorcycle.PWC. Narrow enough to stand up and straddle the seat allows me to hold on with my legs whilst holding teh wheel for balance fore and aft. It's only a 13ft boat but can be driven quite hard and fast, so this factor was very important.
    My console is about as small as you could go and still fit a steering drum into it, hydraulic or push-pull steering will need more room.
    I have an upper storage compartment under the hinged seat and a lower one for extra fuel tank or whatever can get wet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards, Andrew.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

One you can make the console from ply and glass over or you can make it from solid glass and make it the same methos as the plywood console Just make glass panels and do 90% of the glass joins on the inside and the last 10% over the outside its real easy and you have a totally glass console of your own design , After fairing you could even gel coat spray it and that looks even more authentic !!:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.