old design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boat, Mar 7, 2006.

1. boat

boat Junior Member

I am thinking of building a boat it would be made out of ply and has a deep V. it is about 6m long but only has 5 frames. Would this be strong enough to work? It is an old design out of a boat building book from the 60s.

2. lumiecraft

lumiecraft Junior Member

Ski Boat? Many old plywood boats have five or less for 15 footers. Guess it depends on who designed the boat. Any way we can get a link to images of the plans that show that information?

lumiecraft

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Probably ok, you could put in smaller frames between the current frames to sure up the structure. There should also be a forward, aft, and central bulkhead which are full-size.

Tim B.

4. boat

boat Junior Member

some pics

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Put in a forward crash bulkhead (half-way between the bow and the first frame), the rest looks ok.

Tim B.

6. boat

boat Junior Member

is there some chance that you would be able to give me a rough idea of what this should look like

7. Gregg

Gregg Junior Member

Why not think about.....

Those are clean old plans you have there. I can't even imagine what 300 horses would do to that poor plan set you posted for us to peek at.
    You may want to think about building a model of it first out of cardstock to check the stiffness. That may answer quite a few of your questions, not to mention the ones that will show up when building the model.
    Eventhough popsickle sticks may be a bit too thick for using cardstock, it should give you a rough gauge to withstand twisting.
    These of course are just my opinions, and as such, use common sense in anything you "test".
    Good Luck and DO let us know how this turns out.

Oh yea, try and keep the "crash bulkhead light, but strong-- if you can. Weight up front, never did agree with me, can't see my toes.

8. boat

boat Junior Member

if i was to build this boat could some one point me in the direction of where i could get the best advice for a boat like this

9. dimitarp

dimitarp Junior Member

You can use the new plan and everythink will be ok

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Did it work before? or are the plans pure speculation? You need to find if and how the last effort ran! Where did you get the plans from? and all the other investagative things! If it worked in the sixties it probably still will, if it didn't it will still be a load of trouble, despite all the experts I wouldn't redesign the wheel unless I had too! Change is good, but the trouble is these days a lot of change is change for changes sake only!

11. Gregg

Gregg Junior Member

More pages?

How about posting the rest of the pages that would be included with this article? It may indeed give us more insight.

12. boat

boat Junior Member

the rest of the pages

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  13. Gregg

Gregg Junior Member

This should give us something to sink our teeth into! Thanks

14. boat

boat Junior Member

today i had a shot of making a model of the boat but i could not get the stem to work very good. I was wondering is someone could give me some info of how to best make the stem. thanks

15. Gregg

Gregg Junior Member

Building the model

Glad to see your giving it a go! I can describe how I go about building a test model, so these are my opinions. I am sure there are better ways to do this, but the way I describe works for me at least.

1.I ALWAYS draw the boat first,-as close to scale as possible. When I do this, it inevitably answers the many puzzling questions I had in the first place about the boat, and besides, you don't want to mess your article up with glue do ya?
    2. I then place the plan sheet under a peice of wax paper, so as to avoid the glue thing again. I like to use those 24" By 48" ceiling panels as a base for doing this, because your going to want to use push/stick pins to hold parts and various assembly's in place as they dry. (The ceiling tile helps with this big-time). Hollow core interior doors also work, just not as well.(the pins loosen easily depending on the wood used for the door skin).
    3. I had made mention of using popsickle sticks for the backbone and frames for a reason. They are mighty strong for something on the scale of model boats, and they are readily available. I hope you like ice-cream, or you can usually find a sack of em' pretty cheap at a craft store.

So, that's how I start a model, and maybe I shall take the plunge and build one alongside of you, that way, maybe questions can be answered more readily, for both of us. If we get far enough towards completion, don't fall in love with it too much, cuz we will end up torturing it to test strength(or not depending on my destructive mood that day). On the other hand, maybe we can run some tow/scale tests, and see how she does. I refuse to even comtemplate doing that now as our weather is about 20 degrees F. as I write this. (I always end up in the drink when doing this).
    If this interests you, let me know. Otherwise, I have plenty on the board to keep me busy. It does look like a cutie-pie of a vessel though. I didn't see an authors name, maybe I didn't look hard enough though. <--I am easily side-tracked.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.