Center board and rudder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SeaPig, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

gonza,
    Sorry, I think I was sleep posting last night. I meant CLE not CLR and leeward has to do with a landmass.
    SeaPig,
    What I was trying to say was, I think you are on the right track.

2. SeaPig

SeaPig Junior Member

All,
    There are definitely modifications going on with this boat. Honestly, the overall lines attracted me to the boat and I purchased it knowing there would be some repair work required.
    Once I get the traveler setup for adjustments under way I’ll see what I can do under just the main for power. If I can get the loading on the rudder under control; “good!” That will take me down the non surgical route recommended to me.
    Correct on the foils comments and discussion. I’ve pulled a lot of info on this from other posts here. I’m not afraid to experiment at this point. Once I get up to some speed 45 degrees to the wind and prior to heeling I’m already in the 15-20 degrees of rudder deflection (push not pull to maintain course). I can feel the turbulence and drag through the tiller. And it makes it difficult to tack because now I’m going towards 45 plus on deflection to get the nose through the wind. Jibes on the other hand are a breeze! Release tiller pressure and away you go!!!!
    I will double my efforts to make some progress.
    SeaPig

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

That would be a nightmare to sail with.Do you have any reason to believe the bowsprit is original?My suggestion would be that you try tacking the jib to the stemhead and maybe adjust the sheeting position to see if the problem disappears.Additionally,the daggerboard looks a bit slender for the size of the case-so maybe a bit more area there would help.

4. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

Echinoderms,

What fun! You get a boat and a mystery. Sherlock Holmes once said "Come Watson, come the game's afoot". It's from Shakespeare, Henry V, "Before the game is afoot, thou still let'st slip."
    You could get some ideas from some existing boats design. I am not familiar with your boats design but these might give you some clues.
    You mentioned there were some old shrouds/chain plate holes. hmm

Capri 14.2' Catalina Designed by: (Ted Carpentier/Frank Butler)
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/capri-142-catalina
    Capri 16.5' Catalina
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/capri-165-catalina

International Jet 14' class Designed by: (Howard Siddons/Uffa Fox)
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/jet-14
    Articles & Docs http://www.jet14.com/the-jet-14/articles-docs

I once saved a 1954, hot molded, Mahogany International Jet 14' Class from the chainsaw.
    Luckily for me there was still evidence from where the rigging once was.

John

Attached Files: