New Treated Lumber?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Fisherball, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Fisherball

Fisherball New Member

I'm thinking about building a small plywood canoe as my 2nd boat building project. First was 41 years ago, I forget some stuff. Anyway living in central Ohio marine grade woods are hard to come by. I checked Lowes, they have luan that I think will work. It's all got the new treatment that is basically a poison. Does it work with fiber glass resins & epoxies? Can you still buy wood that doesn't have that treatment.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The old PT stuff (CCA) and the new stuff (CA) doesn't take epoxy very well and polyester shouldn't be considered, as it just doesn't stick to wood well at all.

Yes, you can still find the "good stuff", though you'll likely have to have a local lumber house order it or you can use mail order. The lauan found in the big box stores is generally junk, unless you're looking for a disposable boat, then I'd avoid it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.