Converting wooden fishing boat to sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mack1, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Mack1

Mack1 New Member

Clinker build fishing boat: length 38ft, beam 11ft, draft 3.90ft, 14.5t.
    I would like to take this restoration project and convert to sailboat but not motor sailor. What would be better lug or gaff rig? Or maybe is no chances to convert to proper sailing boat. Give me please your opinion.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Its been done before but how well she will sail or what rig to use is down to her hull shape, that trawler looks far more motor boat than sailer i would say gaff rig & it will be more steadying sails than driving ones.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You'd need quite a large crew to manage her as a sailing vessel with some ability. If you have lots of money, the sure you can make it sail. It will not sail especially well considering the "burden" she bears, but a few 40' to 50' masts should do the trick.

She has too much windage to suggest much more then a beam reach, but you could spend more then she's worth, attempting to making her sail through 180 degrees. Obviously, she's not going to be particularly practical.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Not the best hull shape for sailing. keep the motor option.

Sailing trawler "Reaper " rigging plan

Modern free standing.

Attached Files:

5. Mack1

Mack1 New Member

Thank you for your advices. I thought so that she would bear away of her shallow draft. My idea was to buy her almost for free and restore in long period maybe 5-7 years. Probable is better to look for another hull, more closer to sailing... It's so sad that she stay in the harbor for many yeas and roting.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Mack1, this heavy displacement hull looks like it would make an good old style motorsailer. It's similar to a big 30ft. Newfoundland trap skiff i converted to the very same. Read my thread "reverse engineering, conversions, modifications, for the initial steps to take before getting into this project,. The big factors to keep the cost of the project reasonable and competitive are #1Your experience with boatbuilding (education and hands on) must be at least a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale.(I was on my first big conversion) #2 Because of it's size you,have to have low paid to no pay volunteers(family and friends) on a reliable on call situation. #3 Again because of it's size you need a really good connection with someone who has the gear to move this hull as required during and after construction. #3,You have to be experienced in the game as we say of marine wheeling and dealing, bartering for everything. If you qualify 100% for all three above and don't let your emotions cheat you into your decision as this is serious buisness both with your finances and your precious lifes energy(i am old), then you are ready for step 1 of the conversion process as i have listed on my above mentioned thread. Speaking of finances, you will need at least non borrowed, saved, $5000 to set up, The Move, The new 5 yr.part time free rent work site,(close to where you live or better yet live aboard year around)( Also consider bylaws,fussy neighbours,theft problems and so on)Extra tools, Source of electricity, 220v,100amp. supply, A good supply of heavy bracing and blocking and professional truckers style tarps. Re. your personal life, if your other half is not into boating, 5yrs. of hard work and living very economically, you have to choose, The Boat or The other half, don't kid yourself on this thats just the way it is, this is serious stuff, this is raw life in the real. I stress here do not purchase this hull yet, the above is to get to step 1 of the conversion. The above is based on that you are not financially independant, if so why bother. Geo.

7. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

What do they want for her and what condition is she in? Looks similar to a project I'm interested in.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

This vessel has lost its license and can no longer be motorized ?

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Cthippo, search, kijji in Halifax, Nova Scoia, 38ft, designed steel hull well along in work, very reasonable priced and listed for some time so price can be worked on. I will try to forward the ad to you via. e mail.E mail me on what your are looking for , i have alot of connectioms. P.S. Sorry to interrup this thread here as e mails direct to posters not always successful. Geo.

1 person likes this.
  10. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Can you email me a link? my user name @yahoo.com. Thanks

EDIT: Thanks Viking.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

cthippo, forwarded the ad, Geo.

12. Mack1

Mack1 New Member

Viking north, thank you for your advices.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.