Cavitation ( under certain conditions )

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Rett, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Rett

Rett New Member

I have a new Pro-Line 29 SuperSport CC with twin Suzuki 250-4-strokes. Only when quartering or directly into a head sea of 1-2 ft. do I get cavitation when trying to get on plane or in fact get the RPM's over 2000. Then one engine or the other blows out and I have to pull back. Engine trim and trim tabs have no effect. So far, under all other conditions, the boat performs perfectly. The dealer hasn't been very helpful as he says he can't duplicate the complaint. The factory says the engines have the correct props and are in the proper mounting holes. But this is the first year they have used Suzuki engines and don't really have a history. The engines were factory installed but from indications in the caulk, they must have initially had them one hole lower. It's a lot of boat to only be used in Tampa Bay.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is likely ventilation and not cavitation. The engines may need to be lower.

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

2,000 rpms only rough water? Ventilation. If too close to the centerline and each other or more likely as Gonzo stated. These new hulls are sized so damm close to the ragged edge. If you can get 3 or 4 BIG guys at the back of the boat and your rpm is higher then there is no doubt. Try it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.