Ka4-70 Series

Discussion in 'Props' started by igorss, Dec 19, 2013.

1. igorss

igorss Junior Member

Hi.

Does anyone have the Kt Kq J diagrams for the Ka4-70 without nozzle?

Thanks

2. igorss

igorss Junior Member

Does anyone know if there are the Kt Kq J diagrams for the Ka-series without nozzle?

3. igorss

igorss Junior Member

I found a Research Article (http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijrm/2012/474785/) that has the Kt Kq J diagrams for the Ka4-70 with and without nozzle, but there are a huge difference between those diagrams, principally for the Kq.

Can anyone confirm those diagrams and explain the difference for the Kq?

Sorry for the english, I am Brazilian.

Thanks.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

5. igorss

igorss Junior Member

Thank you for the answer jehardiman. I read the threads you recommended and they helped me to understand a few things. But I read the Volume II, Chapter 56, Section 9 of the 1988 edition of Principles of Naval Architecture by SNAME and I didn't find the curves for a Ka4-70 both out of nozzles.

6. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

PNA Vol II doesn't draw the curves of the propeller characteristics, it supplies the coefficients of the regression polynomials used to calculate Kt and Kq (See p. 217)

It's a similar procedure which was done with the open B-Series wheels.

7. quequen

quequen Senior Member

P.217 tables 21/22 give coefficients for Ka4-70 in nozzles 19A and 37. As Ka4 screws are designed specifically for nozzles I don't think there are coeffs for the screws allone. May be in the work of Van Gent et al. (1983)?
    However there is a comparisson chart with B4-70 series at pp.219 (both ahead and astern)

8. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

The Ka4-70 series coefficients are Ct, Ctn, and Cq, which represent the total thrust coefficient, the nozzle thrust coefficient, and the torque coefficient. I think that an approximation of the thrust due to the propeller alone could be obtained by subtracting the nozzle thrust from the total thrust for a given speed of advance.

9. quequen

quequen Senior Member

NavalSA, that makes sense to me. So total thrust minus nozzle thrust for 19A should give the same that total thrust minus nozzle thrust for 37, and that's the thrust of screws alone? Has this checkup been made already?

10. DMacPherson

DMacPherson Senior Member

Not so easy...

Sorry guys, it's not that simple. The nozzle creates a local velocity inflow into the propeller, which is substantially different from the condition without a nozzle, and measurably different between different nozzle styles. We wrote up this article some years ago that might help explain a bit more.

http://hydrocompinc.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/tex0801.pdf

And regarding the original post, the series of NSMB tests that make up the various ducted propeller series did not include published tests of the KA propeller without a nozzle.

Don MacPherson
    HydroComp

11. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I looked at the data in PNA again and I see now that the comparison is indeed against a B4-70 not a Ka4-70.

FWIW, I did some work years ago for a custom tube thruster using a wheel similiar to a Ka4-66 but with a different pitch distribution and blade shape. In the tube it was much more efficient than a similiar Ka (65 lb/hp vice 45lb/hp bollard). However, it was very supceptable to tip clearence issues. So I would expect a Ka type wheel out of the tube to be similiar to B series thrust but with more torque absorbed and tip cavitation problems.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.