caulking

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by mfvpaul, Apr 6, 2007.

1. mfvpaul

mfvpaul New Member

hi i have a 65ft oak on oak trawler carvel construction does anyone know or done a re caulk between tides

2. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

I did a recaulk on a 34ft. Fishing boat. Trawler style. I could never have done it between tides. If you have a good crew you might do it. 65 ft is a lot of caulking. Are you using cotton or oakum?

3. mfvpaul

mfvpaul New Member

thanks lancerbye the way i was thinkingof doing this is maybe one seam at a time just rake out enough to replace between tides i will use oakum but need a fairing compound that will adhere to wet timber

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

The union says a caulker does 15 feet of seam an hour. It looks like it may take a lot of tides for a boat that size. I know haulouts can be costly but for some reason, doing caulking between tides doesn't sound like fun. I have never tried it, though, so give it a try and see how it goes.

5. Lancerbye

Lancerbye Junior Member

Gilbert's time sounds about right. Have you got your rakes made and your caulking irons in good shape. The hardest seam is the first one along the keel and your fairing compound for that one is often times a flex mortor type of compound which will cure under water. For the rest I had used a two part paraseal which cures quickly and sticks to any and everything. The effect of this is a flexable seam but the caravel plank style is very visable which is nice to look at but some like to hide this effect. They would use red lead or a flex mortor whose name escapes me at the present time.The problem with those is any flex in your vessel will show up as cracks in the paint job. I am sure there is new stuff on the market that would work well. I last did this back in 1985. good luck.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cliche - but in this case true: Time and tide etc. haul her up on the hard and allow at least three days. A rushed caulking job is a waste of time and effort. Take your time, clean the seams thoroughly (look out for previously used short-cuts - putty etc) lay in the new oakum/cotton dipped in a thin coat of pitch and pound home. Add redlead 'to taste' (but wear gloves and mask) allow at least a day to dry - then slap on a couple of coats of paint.

7. Matt Lingley

Matt Lingley Junior Member

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Nay, nay lad. Black puddin's for fry-ups. Bacon, eggs, mushy peas and fried bread. Just ask our Walrus.
    Lawks O mussy. You'll be caulking with haggis next...:D

9. mfvpaul

mfvpaul New Member

thanks everyone i think its haul out time does anyone know of a good caulker around the southampton area

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.