21' 1965 barbour cuddy cruiser

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by tx-scooter, May 17, 2009.

1. tx-scooter

tx-scooter Junior Member

hello everyone im a newbie here and to wooden boats, being from west texas. i just purchased a 21' 65 model cuddy cruiser by Barbour Motor Works. it seems in good shape has been used regularly and im only going to use cruising the g kids around, but i would like to look good doing it. lol. :D i have always liked the looks of the cris craft ect.so my question is how to go about refinishing the hull, it looks like it has just had years of paint applied.and all the mahogany is dry or painted over.it is, as im sure most of you already know, a lapstrake. the inside of the cuddy looks good, but the hull is just cracking paint.
    do i strip, primer,then paint? and strip and varnish the mahogany?

also any info on this boat would be appreciated as i can't seem to find any info on the Barbour cruisers other than a pic from the 1963 sales brochure.also do the boats have any collector value, this could determine how much time and effort i would spend on it.

2. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

Are you still looking for Barbour info?

3. tcynthia76

tcynthia76 New Member

Barbour boat Questions

My dad recently got a 15ft Boabour boat and it needs some work. We are trying to get information about how to get parts for the boat. I have tried locating the company but can not find it online. My guess is that it is no longer open???? If someone can help point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. The boat has some rotten spots so we are going to have to replace some of the wood, and also some of the wood on the frame seems rotton. Thanks, Cindy Taylor

4. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

Barbour Boat Works was located in New Bern NC from 1937 till 98, when it was sold and destroyed by the State so a ridiculous Museum could be built. I have restored 4 like the one you have, what parts are you looking for? Missing wooden parts must be made by hand, sometimes I had an old Piece for a pattern, others came from studying other Barbours at Shows or from literature. All of the Company records are at Eastern Carolina University in Greenville NC, you can make copies of brochures or look up your boat from its numbers. The build number will be stamped in the wood transom knee, serial numbers are written in pencil under floorboards, later Models had a metal build tag at the rear bottom stern area.
    Barbour used Perko lights, Wilcox-Crittenden handles and hinges,steering wheels and windshield frames, Mcloskey Varnish and Paint. Listings for Barbour parts are scarce as hens teeth on Ebay but do come up. !5 foot Models included the early Skipper, Utility, and top of the line Vacationer. Before 57 solid woods were used, mahogany frames and sides, earlier used Spanish Cedar and Juniper. Later Models had plywood transoms and floors, all used a very good plywood bottom fastened with silicon bronze screws.Every configuration under the sun was manufactured By Barbour according to customers wishes, single and dual consoles, 5 hp inboards, duck boats to 46 foot cabin cruisers.
    Barbour Boats desirability and price range seems to be dropping along with the old timers who know what they are. I kept one, a 15 foot Vacationer, and use it regularly, they are great, and I mean great boats when set up right.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.