Cauking Help

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Customride, May 29, 2008.

1. Customride

Customride jtrutkus@mns.com

I am building a 17 foot twin cockpit runabout. Where I’m stuck is caulking the decking. It is Mahogany planked that I have stained and have eight coats of varnish on it. Now I started to caulk it and two things are happening. The first thing is it is shrinking a lot and second is when I pull the tape off (caulk is Still soft) it is leaving little peeks and it’s rough. How do you get those beautifuly smooth white caulk line without messing up that nice varnish job??????
    What type of caulk works the best?

2. shark

shark New Member

I have a similar question but with regards to teak decking instead of mahogany. What caulk works well with teak?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Use the caulk that is made for decks. The way to get really sharp edges is to caulk and then sand.