Questions about Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by JordieS, Oct 4, 2011.

1. JordieS

JordieS Junior Member

Dear Boatdesign.net users,

I've read over the forums for a while now and decided to start designing a ~5m boat, I will probably just build a model and then if I want I will build the real thing.

I'm using Rhino to design the boat but I'm having some problems with using wirecut to cut through the deck surface for the (can't think of the term, so I shall say) area in which the driver and passengers sit.

When I try and use Wirecut to remove a section from the deck this is what happens (see picture) and it stays like that, I can't delete the weird extension thing either. I'm new to Rhino just so you all know.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

JordieS the wire cut is normally for solids so may act a little strange on surfaces. If you use the trim command with the line you are using as the out line for you cut in the top view you might have more luck.

3. JordieS

JordieS Junior Member

When I go to select the object to trim (the surface) it won't select. It's impossible to cut it out, but thank you for clarifying wirecut for me.

Anyone else reading please help.

Appreciated,

JordieS

4. JordieS

JordieS Junior Member

Don't worry everyone, I finally got it! Thanks bhnautika

5. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

JordieS a surface will not trim if there is any leakage around the ends of the line that is being used to trim the surface. Check and either extend the line past the edge or add a little extra and combine then try again. Sometimes if that doesn’t work “extrude the line down through the other surface, then use that surface to trim the other, then delete the extruded surface.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.