catamarn with stern drive engine

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by chaser, May 23, 2012.

1. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Double weight at the stern. More drag. Wrong props? Marginal over the hump before?

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Frosty, you may well be correct................maybe it's a plot...... to trick other boat builders, I love a conspiracy............. to keep them off the pace,........ meanwhile an evil genius NA plans world domination of all things boatlike, whilst He/She strokes a fluffy white cat & laughs maniacally, or maybe it is overweight with granite benchtops/bunks/bulkheads & they're driving it round with 15 degrees of trim on the sterndrives. Jeff;)

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

he is delibirately keeping all in suspence ;)

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Don't laugh, they may well have, looking at the rooster-tails. :eek:

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

.............Well I was half serious about that...seeing as they had apparently been advised to "lift/raise the sterndrives", at work I'll partially tilt the outboard on our RIB as I pass the ends of fingers & give them a spray to chase off the seagulls......... fighting a losing battle but hawk cut out seem to be getting results. Jeff.

6. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

It is already being done

7. masalai

masalai masalai

As I said earlier a dog of a cat is not worth keeping, because it is a "lemon" - - A fine display model, fit only as a reminder of the stupidity of the design/designer - - - It does not work now, and likely never will, so get over it...

The discourse goes to demonstrate the large numbers of "bored pontificators" posting on this thread. - - - - - - On second thoughts, disregard all my comments and blast away on your respective keyboards - What would I do if there was nothing available to endlessly pontificate and speculate on how to resolve the problems confronting a half-arsed failed design re-engineering... . . . . . . . . .

One can assume that normal care was exercised in preparing the original question. . .
    - 1 - that the propellers were not caked with half an inch or more of barnacles,
    - 2- that the stern-drive legs were aligned to issue reasonable thrust aft,
    - 3 - that the propellers were reasonably matched to the available hp and boat weight.
    - 4 - That any unnecessary ballast was removed.
    - 5 - that the boat had a reasonably clean bottom,
    - 6 - That the anchor or any other object dragging in the water & other slowing object was not hindering the movement under power, - - - - - - and so on....

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Hopefully a misfortune that never afflicts you ! :p

9. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

It's a real boat with real money invested in it already. Someone is going to have to make the best of it. A set of tabs as large as possible could help if it's close, the outboards got it up, kind of. Or swap the engines out.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Mr E,
    I will always find something on which to pontificate - as befits all "grumpy old ********"... Resolve the issue of road carnage, increase the max speed by 10% and place hefty fines on all who are more than 5kmh below the speed limit... The natural attrition should remove some - to the morgue - and if that was not successful, continue to increase the speed limits by at least 10kmh every 6 months...

(in Qld there is provision for $3000 and 12 months loss of licence for driving 20kmh under the speed limit - - - but because it must go before a 'Magistrates court" and is not an "on-the-spot' fine like excessive speeding the police are too lazy to enforce it... - I know of 4 service roads where I could detect and document 3 offences a day for that offence.)

Hi IMP-ish,
    There is a delightful thread on "retired" real boats - - - (actually abandoned derelicts) - - - A condition to which the vessel featured in this thread should be consigned... Just like "real cars", when abandoned usually find their way to the wreckers yard, or to be recycled by recovering various reusable parts... The boat questioned here is at that level... There comes a time when one must realise and recognise that enough is enough...

It has been admitted that the stern section is curved and the cavitation plates may well be partially in/under the water-flow. and until this can be observed one can only make assumptions, and on that point the hull would be beyond redemption except as a marina based party boat able to hobble about at less than 10knots, (re-engined as the big engines and legs may be salvageable for resale), and the small engines would facilitate annual haulout...

11. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Don't know if the hull would be safe with how much power, but if the outboards got it up and the 220s wont, swap in a pair of gas 330s. Or take the power way down and you'll have a slow boat the owner can use like masalai uses his :D

Look how many miles you've put on your boat and what you've spent. Someone could enjoy this as much as you've enjoyed yours and save $200,000 of real money. Life isn't perfect.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Impish,
    That is in essence what I suggested - It would not likely be as seakindly as mine but more likely a marina-berth-party-boat for the occasional tryst or romantic encounter... and if she/he became demanding - well give them the boat - cheaper than a messy divorce etc....

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If it did 23kts with outboards ---go back to them. There is a market for toy engines but not a big one.

I would consider a refit, a bit lighter this time, not 1/2 inch ply.

It will be ok to play with,, bit of fishing --sandwich eating, looking at stuff etc.

14. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Friends, Something looks wrong here.
    The poster 'Chaser' claims in a differnt thread to be a member of IAG Yachts, China.
    Looking at their website one would think that they can handle the (design?-) problem by themselves.
    Apparently they can not.
    During this thread Chaser did not appear much to solve HIS problem.

The scarce information of the speed flop reminds me of an earlier case in Thailand; some people do not know what they do, despite all their claims for fame.
    Unless Chaser actively turns up here to drive forward a solution, I would say that the project desrves to go down and declare it temporarily dead.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hey hakim --I think the Pier bar is open again, I rode past it on Friday and it was open again.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.