Garbage polution

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Is the dumping of vegetable waste or food garbage into the sea polution. Is it illegal anywhere.

Banana skins look unsightly floating in the marina but is it polution.

It is natural. There is trees and coconut floating every where.

Surely this type of polution cant damage the sea.

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The problem here by us is that the people dont know what is pollution and what not. So better to ban all waste overboard. The people will stand next to the dustbin and still throw rubbish on the floor. Go Google 'Hartbeespoort Dam' to see what a big sewer looks like - you can smell the dam up to 10 km away.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The fish in the marina love chicken skin, and most things.

They don't eat polystyrene boxes but people know that don't they.

Pollution and ignorance is 2 completely different things to all but a politician

4. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

I don't want other boats' garbage floating past mine whether the fish like it or not.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The beaches on our island are littered with garbage. Usually the locals blame the tourists for it, but if you look closer you see large buckets, 2 gallon oil cans, timber, nets and lots of empty plastic bottles in household sizes. Of course there also are some bathing shoes, sun lotion bottles and plastic toys, but they form not more than 2% of this huge pile of rubbish . Food does not wash ashore, the hungry sea creatures have digested everything, even my cigar butts are a treat for some fish.

6. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

The coastal area of China where I've lived past three years has some really nice beaches, but during summer months the locals have such little respect for outdoors that beaches look like landfills after a sunny weekend.

In another area adjacent to our shipyard the many Japanese owned fish processing plants discharge their untreated waste in the bays. During sea trials I've had visiting clients on flat calm days nearly vomit from the putrid stink caused by this floating waste in our basin.

We won't eat any seafood from in the region because bacteria levels are to high around the coast.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Don't worry about it. Throw your bananas overboard, who cares if it looks like ****. People might complain, but who gives a **** what they think? Of course they might have a different idea of what constitutes pollution or what looks like ****, and obviously you won't be able to complain if everybody starts throwing all their **** overboard, but it's a free world, so tough ****. And when your marina starts looking like a **** hole, and maybe the fish start dieing because the excess nutrients from all the **** floating around in the marina has choked off the oxygen, why, it won't be your problem, you can just fire up your one ton a day fuel engines and leave all that **** behind, waving Bon Voyage!

Ignorance is the cake, pollution is the icing.

8. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Frosty, you are trying to apply logic to the religion of environmentalism. their theology is "when nature does it; good! If man does it; it is BAD!"

I have been to public hearings where people so incompetent they could not find a useful job doing anything else but work for a government agency called "the department of ecology", who would testify to almost exactly what I wrote above, as if they were experts. In the public hearing they claim that "natural" river bank erosion contributes nutrients to the stream, and large woody debris that form spawning pools, so we could not stop beach erosion, it would be "bad" for the creek. But that building a house 100 ft away would cause bank erosion and possible trees and stumps fall into the creek, and that would be "bad" because it is not "natural".

I think the occasional banana peel is not the problem, when millions of people throw their trash in the ocean, it created large floating pools of decomposing debris that are very unsanitary, stinky and not pleasant to be around. Its tourists away, and their wallets. So they just pass laws that no one throw trash in the ocean.

I been to beaches in 3rd world country that were like smelly land fills, but could have been beautiful and pleasant places to be. I like the laws that keep the beach, roadways, parks, etc. clean, it makes it a nicer place to visit.

10. DStaal

DStaal Junior Member

In some things also, volume counts. One person dropping one banana peel is no problem. Ten people each dropping one banana peel is likely no problem. A hundred people each dropping one banana peel is likely a problem. A thousand people each dropping one banana peel is definitely a problem. They'll cover surfaces, prevent gas exchange, feed particular subsets of organisms, etc. Nature will adjust, but not necessarily in a way we will like.

It's hard to make a fair law that says 'you can drop your banana peel, but only if it's just you'. It's much easier to just say no dropping of banana peels.

I've lived in cities that might as well be garbage dumps. I'd rather not do so again. A bit of care isn't unwarranted. Do you pick up your room? Is it that hard to take the same amount of care in public?

11. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday Calfornia-person. Hey there dude, don't worry at all - just stay home - in sunny California - look out to sea - once a month - cause there is millions of tonnes of 'radio-active' garbage coming your way - all the way acroos the ocean from Japan. I stay here & watch the AC 45's & 72's on the TV. Hope the authorities can figure out what to do about all the 'stuff' - Good luck, ciao, james

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I see from the way the conversation is going that you think food waste is garbage.

I thought it was nutrients like putting horse manure on Rhubarb.

I go the extreme of suggesting that feces is still nutrients. all animal waste eventualy ends up in the sea,--its the way the world works.

Crabs , lobster and many other scavenging crustations live off it and then we humans pay a lot of money to eat them.

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That's what the dictionary says,
    Going the extreme would then suggest we don't treat sewage anymore but just dump it raw into the nearest river.

14. J Feenstra

J Feenstra Junior Member

You have a point Frosty, but still, if Crabs Lobsters and other species become to powerful, the balance of the ecosystem will disrupt. You can see the result of a disrupted ecosystem in several lakes and shore lines. That disruption is caused by small bacteria encased by ships ballast water. IMO is trying to regulate the ballast water treatment. A result is that cargo ships have to change their ballast water further down the coast, preventing that bacteria will be released in the nutritious shore water.

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Doing that would also provide jobs for people.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.