Removing a Volvo 290 SP

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by Katoh, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Gentlemen
    I am trying to remove the leg of a volv0 290 sp, I have followed the manual with no problems till now. I am at the stage were I have to remove the fork lock pins. According to the book use special tool 885148, I don't have this and for $400 I really don't want this. The pins are just press in with a bit of force brass drift and hammer will come out. My problem is I have two transom pods welded to either side only leaving me 200mm of room, not enough for anything really. The pins look like they have never been replaced or moved since new, nearly 20 years. I need to get the drive out.
    Is there some way of removing the upper gear unit first, Then with that gone I can get a drift in to beat the pins out. I have already snapped one bolt in the right hand pin trying to get it to move a bit, book says 5/16 u18 bolt to adjust,move pin, ect.
    and Yes I have removed the two lock bolts!
    I cant even get enough swing to beat the pins in, what do I do?
    Please Help
    Katoh

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you tried using a pry bar against the pod? A hydraulic ram may also work.

3. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Hy Gonzo
    No chance on either just cant get in there, I'm going to try today removing the top gear box from the leg. If that comes off I may have enough room to swing a hammer in there, I sprayed them with inox last night hopefully that would of penetrated a bit. The last thing I want is to go braking the transom shield!
    Thanks
    Katoh

4. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Finally removed the drive today, The upper gearbox was removed then access to the pins from in to out could be achieved with a drift and hammer.
    Cheers
    Katoh

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There's always another way to skin a cat. Congratulations.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.