Catamaran steering.

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by K J Thomas, Dec 27, 2011.

1. K J Thomas

K J Thomas Junior Member

Hi

Anyone know if you can use teleflex mechanical rotary steering system to steer two catamaran rudders, without any other link?

Changing a sailing cat to wheel steering. A link rod will be in the way of the dinghy.

I.e. Like the duel steering wheel system in reverse. Two rudders, one wheel.

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It depends on the load. You have to calculate what the maximum force to be applied will be.

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

You can use the Teleflex system on smaller boats. But it doesn't always keep the rudders in line indefinitely. For whatever reason I've known the rudders get out of line. It's not that sensitive either. Remember Teleflex steering is really for twin outboard motors

I think you'll find the cables supplied as standard will both be the same length, which might cause routing problems.

and you have to think about emergency steering

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

The Teleflex twin Safe T can be used with any length cable including different lengths. They are basically two identical helms stacked on one shaft. The rudders should stay in sync after initial ajdustment.

I believe the Safe T is available with or without teleflex's "no feedback feature," the unit w/o will provide feedback to the helm. Any of the rack and pinion dual cable systems will be "no feedback."

And yes, these are primarily designed for outboard use, actually singles and/or dual o/b over a certain HP, as a choice before hydraulic, but more than adequate for any reasonable rudder load on a typical cat, I would think up to around 40 ft and depending even bigger.

U flex also makes one that will provide feedback:

http://www.marinepartssource.com/ne...0&category=&mfgcategory=Rotary Steering Helms

Taming a 150HP o/b with an 8" rudder arm calls for some robust engineering.

Steve

6. K J Thomas

K J Thomas Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

The dual cable helm Solved my problem.