Catamaran Single Engine One Hull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Boatguy30, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Pics

Phil-

some pics would be great. I assume the motor you have is a 20" shaft? the Yamaha 25 is not available in the US as a 25".

I had originally planned to use a swinging bracket on my Woods Vardo, but Richard will likely draw a fixed one like on Eclipse and Romany. In lite trim my cockpit will be 28" above the waterline so I think anything fixed, especially for a 20" shaft would be a major drag and hard to get to the motor.

there is a company in the US making 5" extension kits for most motors. Perhaps there would be a good market for these in Australia?

did you write an article about adding a bridge deck cabin to your cat? If so I may know your brother Jamie.

Cheers,
    Jeff

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

The Yammie I have is a long shaft - 25 inch called a big foot. Works well but can be a little rough at some revs. Friends had the same engine (Merc 25 big foot is same) with the 5 inch extension. Due to harmonics in the shaft the driveshaft ate out the spline in the crank and there was an awful amount of angst and money spent. They got rid of the extension and went back to a 25 inch.

cheers

Phil

3. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

motors

I'm sure there are some potential issues with the aftermarket extensions. Not aware of any markets with the Yamaha and Mercurys the same engine and have worked as outboard mechanic in NZ.

Anyhow, if you can post some pics of your setup that would be great.

4. catsketcher

Kankama video

Gday

I went out and took a very bad video of Kankama's pivoting nacelle. You have to put your head on its side as I held the camera wrong but it should give a broad brush of my approach.

http://youtu.be/KAIsMz-2jVA

cheers

Phil

5. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Great Cat

Phil-

that's a great looking boat! Wow, that box has to be big but I guess doubles a good place to stand to see over the cuddy. I think the centerline wheel makes good sense. Is it cables to quadrants?

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

Thanks Phil.

Good Looking boat. Also had a look at your tour in another Vid :)

I can make that nacelle arrangement work, so thanks for the idea. When the nacelle was down does it need locking off?

Thanks

Brett

7. catsketcher

No Brett - no locking required for full throttle reverse. What I did not include in the vid is the hinge. It is just a stainless tube glued and stitched with uni to hold it in place. I love stitching with uni as it is really strong. Make the ears strong as well. Glass them till you get tired.

cheers

Phil

8. catsketcher

The box

Jeff - the box is wide because of the size of the motor. It fits in well in the cockpit still. It is our seat and we can stand on it when mooring etc. As we often use autopilot the seat does not have to be too comfortable and it is better for me not to have a cushioned driving seat that would get in the way during manouvres. I had a bigger seat before with a back and got rid of it.

Steering is vectran line to the tiller link bar.

9. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Phil-

By stitching do you mean there are slots in the in the bridgedeck that the uni tape laces thru like a webbing buckle?

You're dead right on the autopilot. I never hand steer when cruising especially with kids!

What kind of fuel burn to you have at cruising speed? I'm planning a 15 or 20 hp for my 34' cat.

Jeff
    sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com

10. catsketcher

Gday Jeff

With stitching I mean you drill some 5 mm holes next to each other and staggered as if you were going to tie the thing on - like shoe laces. Then I get some strands - I rip off the end of 600gm biax - about 8 strands about 1 metre long. I wet them out and then pull them through the holes just like I am tying it all together. Put as much tow through the holes as you can. Shove some filler in the holes when wet and then whilst still wet get some double bias and go over the lot - Pull tight as you go. Really cheap and easy and best of all strong.

My genoa blocks and Catspaws sidestays are shackles held in place with tow. My genoa tracks are stitched into the cabin with tow and are lovely and leak free, quiet, cheap and worry free. The motor hinge is stitched and it is how I am building the hinges on my folding cat.

With modern composites you should try and stitch all you can. Get rid of the stainless fittings and make it out of glass.

cheers
    Phil

11. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

An I/O leg on a Prout and a hinged "sled" on a Gold Coast Cat. I think the sled arrangement to be the simplest, most flexible and easiest to use of all the adjustable methods.

Steve

Attached Files:

12. delebash

delebash New Member

I had a macgregor 36 with a 25 hp on one hull.

It was connected to the opposite tiller by a long tube so that the motor turned with the rudders. This was very satisfactory. I could kick the stern either way. It was on a sliding bracket with a 4 to 1 purchase that could lead to a winch solely for the engine. Depending on the tack, you could adjust the height of the engine. A few times it doused itself pitching but it fired right up. I could do 8.3 knots by GPS in a calm. A modern 4-stroke or fuel injected 2-stroke would be a pretty impressive but inexpensive set-up. Of course, if you are building, your options are many with a smaller difference in expense. Building a pivoting sled would have been more difficult on this tramp type cat.
    By the way, it only had one daggerboard and that was also satisfactory.

13. Stefan Gessinger

Stefan Gessinger Junior Member

14. Stefan Gessinger

Stefan Gessinger Junior Member

Hi Phil - I came across your description of stitching genoa tracks, folding catamaran hinges and general joinery with 600 g biax strands and am hoping to pick your brain on your catamaran hinges (I am intending to build the non-structural hinges for my 24' folding catamaran in fiberglass). stefangessinger@gmail.com

15. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

I've previously seen on one of the wooden boat threads somewhere that a power boat builder utilised the electric slidign seat mechanism from a Mitsubishi (?IIRC?) 4x4 mounted vertically on the transom to slide an outboard up and down in order to get deeper prop in chop. 12-V electric so relatively simple to adapt to boat.

If you're looking for sliding mount ideas might be worth googling that....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.